GermanLook Forums

GermanLook Forums (https://www.germanlook.net/forums/index.php)
-   VolkSport Käfer Gruppe (https://www.germanlook.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   Yard sale 2275 is done (https://www.germanlook.net/forums/showthread.php?t=4396)

NO_H2O May 28th 2004 22:13

Yard sale 2275 is done

Well I just got back from Jake's and this time I brought it home. It even came home in a bug. I pulled the right seat out and put it in the floor :rolleyes: .
I didn't get to take it to 6000rpm due to the rev limiter kicking in at 5800. But it made 147hp and climbing at 5500 rpm. The cool part is that the torque is huge (for a Type 1) 152 lb.ft. at 4000 rpm peak and ranges from 121 at 2000 to 140.2 at 5500.
I used a prototype Type 1 DTM shroud and it did a great job. Even with Street Eliminator heads it ran coooooooooool. The break-in was a 25hp load at 2500 rpm for 30 min and the #3 cyl was rock solid at 230 deg. We had to run it at a 71 hp load 4000 rpm for a good while to get it to hit 350 deg. When this shroud is read for the market-place it will be SWEEEEEEEEET.
I will post the Dyno-graph when Jake emails it to me. All I have now is the paper copy.

boygenius May 28th 2004 22:22

SWEET! ! ! Thats awesome man... Please oh please take me for a ride in it...

yetibone May 29th 2004 16:31

Rockin' dude. You gonna install it on the stock tranny for now, and do the 901 switch later?

NO_H2O May 29th 2004 19:08

Yep, the 901 will have to wait. The 2275 is going in on June 5th. At Kevin Smiths house. He is having a cookout for our local club and it was planned as a tech-day to do the engine swap.
Engine swap first then cook out.

NO_H2O May 29th 2004 19:16

Oh yea, Zens engine was right beside mine as I was getting mine dressed for the dyno. Looks like it is ready to install his DTM and dress for the dyno.

NO_H2O May 29th 2004 20:07

1 Attachment(s)
here's a pic.

vujade May 30th 2004 18:46

cool Dave :)

what type of cam are you running?

NO_H2O May 30th 2004 19:01

A Web Cam 122/125 on a small base circle. Not sure if Jake ordered any other changes to it when he called it in. But it has a torque curve like a Type 4. I will post the dyno graph when Jake emails it to me.

NO_H2O June 3rd 2004 13:22

1 Attachment(s)
I scanned the dyno-graph.

Mikey 1972GL June 3rd 2004 16:04

That's cool. Do you think your transmission will hold that much power? Just wondering. :confused:

Cool pictures :agree:

Mike

NO_H2O June 3rd 2004 16:59

No. But I'm going to a 901 this winter. I will just have to take it easy till then.

zen June 3rd 2004 18:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by NO_H2O
I will just have to take it easy till then.

???????????:confused:???????????????

you serious about that clark?

yea right. that chart looks like too much fun to take it easy.

boygenius June 3rd 2004 23:21

Sweet looking power curves... Should haul some serious a$$...

NO_H2O June 6th 2004 00:39

Well it is in and runnig. Both Volvo oil cooler are blown out, just could not take the oil pressure from a fresh engine and cold oil. They blew back to back. I think they were week and would have gone sooner or later. Better to got while I had someone watching. But with just the remote filter (K&N) it did fine. Got the carbs sync'ed and the idle set. I will have to go back to Kevin's tomorrow and put the deck lid on and remove the oil cooler plumbing and bring her home (the long way). I will be swapping the engine/trans. in my son's bug tomorow for his birthday.

yellow73 June 6th 2004 21:31

Dave,
That is great that you got it running. Pity about the oil coolers, what are you going to replace them with?

NO_H2O June 7th 2004 00:17

I still have the type 4 cooler in the DTM, I will do some running on that and see what the temp's look like. Right now all I can do is use a Wish Cooler (wish I had something to replace them with).

NO_H2O June 7th 2004 01:06

You would think that having it in and having one more night off that I would have been driving the hell out of it today. Well I must report that it is still over at Kevin's waiting to put the deck-lid back on and wire up the alternator. I spent all of today swapping the old engine and transaxle in Ryan's bug for the new engine and transaxle that I had waiting for him. It was his birthday and I needed to get the new drive-line in as his gift. I'm whipped after 2 engine swaps and a trans swap in one weekend. I will fire Ryan's up for break-in in the morning, then go get the black bug finished and drive it. Then take a nap and go to work. I will have to install the MSD rev-limiter and do some engine bay clean-up work next weekend to be ready for HoD.

Mikey 1972GL June 7th 2004 17:22

Quote:

I'm whipped after 2 engine swaps and a trans swap in one weekend.

Too bad I'm not closer, I'd love to help. :agree: More experiance the better.

Mike

NO_H2O June 7th 2004 19:05

My son's engine spund great, we did the break-in run on it this morning and then tuned the carbs. But the clutch will not disengage. I fought with it for hours. Looks like I will have to pull the engine back out and I haven't gone over to finish up my car. I'm not a happy camper right now. And I have to go back to work tonight. :mad:

yetibone June 7th 2004 19:32

bummer dude. I know all about bad luck like that. :(

Mikey 1972GL June 7th 2004 22:23

Quote:

My son's engine spund great, we did the break-in run on it this morning and then tuned the carbs. But the clutch will not disengage. I fought with it for hours. Looks like I will have to pull the engine back out and I haven't gone over to finish up my car. I'm not a happy camper right now. And I have to go back to work tonight. :mad:

We had to pull an engine out 2 times because of the clutch not disevgaging, and then another 2 times changing the transmission, all in the same car in the past 3 weeks, I feel your pain. :bawling:

If I may give advice, from personal experiance, be sure to check everything when you get to pull the engine out. The first time we pulled it out, it looked like just the throwout bearing, then the second time we pulled the engine out and the clutch disk was bent. It seems when we put the engine in we pushed a little too hard and bent the disk, and it was a 4 puck disk so that didn't help any. I hope some of our mistakes will help you not make the same.

Mike

NO_H2O June 8th 2004 22:40

Well I pulled the engine back out and found that the spline shaft on the trans had some light rust on it and it didn't let the disc float so it was jamed against the flywheel. It dose fine now. I need to make one more adjustment to the clutch cable and tune the carbs again and my son will have his car on the road again. I did take it for a quick run and it will do a nice burn-out and has some good power. It's a 1641 with scat C-35 cam, 8.5 to 1, Weber 34 ICT's and a 4 into 1 with a quiet pack. Then it is back to my car.

NO_H2O June 8th 2004 22:43

1 Attachment(s)
Here is a nice shot of the 2275 ready to go in.

yellow73 June 8th 2004 22:52

That looks really cool. Really cool.

Mikey 1972GL June 8th 2004 23:21

Quote:

Here is a nice shot of the 2275 ready to go in.

:eek: Wow, that looks great!!!

Mike

boygenius June 8th 2004 23:26

:eek: That is the cleanest garage I have ever seen. :eek:

Very nice engine........ :agree:

Mikey 1972GL June 8th 2004 23:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by boygenius
:eek: That is the cleanest garage I have ever seen.

Very nice engine........

I'm glad I'm not the only one that thinks his garage is VERY CLEAN :eek:

I'm still staring at the picture.... :eek: :bowdown:

Mike

zen June 8th 2004 23:56

lol. he is wishing that too...and me too. that is a friend's place commonly referred to as the Garage-Mahal. comes complete with leather sofa and large screen entertainment center.

NO_H2O June 9th 2004 00:53

Yep, I wish that was my shop. I did help him decorate it. I built the corner entertainment center for the big screen and audio system. You cant see much of that corner but it has a black leather sofa, black and white tile floor, ceiling fans, bar table and chairs and a keg cooler with 2 tap tower. Nice place to do an engine swap.

NO_H2O June 9th 2004 08:25

4 Attachment(s)
Here you go. Garage-Mahal.

jhelgesen June 9th 2004 09:44

Needs more cars in there, too much room. :laugh:

NO_H2O June 9th 2004 18:31

Well I got the engine in and took it out for a romp today. The head temps were great. I did get it just past 300 but I was givin' it some hell. #1 and #3 were within 20 deg. of each other every time I look and with in 5 deg of each other at low RPM with light trottle. I did get the oil temp up (220) after a while and I was running it pretty hard. I will Be adding an external cooler before I get it out on the hwy. I just had the onboard Type 4 cooler in use today and it was kind'a hot out at 4:30 to 5:00 pm here in the Atlanta area, it's 87 deg now (6:00pm). It's ok for short trips but I would feel better with an external cooler helping out on long hauls down in this climate.
But realy who builds a 2275 with almost 10 to 1 compression without an external cooler. I wanted to see what it would do without one. :rolleyes:
I had Kevin Smiff and little Charlie with me for the first run and it is a power house. I still need to adjust the trottle linkage to get full tilt. Maybe I will wait for a while before I do that so I can keep the transaxle in it. It pulls hard as hell and has awsome down low grunt. :eek:

boygenius June 9th 2004 20:39

Awesome man... :agree:

Glad to hear you got it all installed.

Mikey 1972GL June 9th 2004 23:01

Since you're such a nice guy and all, you'll take someone for a ride in it? like my friend, show her how much power your Volkswagen has. :laugh:

Glad to hear your engine is in. The external oil cooler sounds like a good idea. :agree:

Mike

NO_H2O June 10th 2004 12:17

Yep I can take somone for a ride as long as I find some oil cooling so I can get it there.
I just got a email from the guy that bailed me out on the engine swap for the wifes Jetta TDI. His wife caught a peice of steel right through the belly pan and oil pan as she drove down the interstate. He has to do an engine swap on it now and I owe him big time for letting me use his shop and help to swap my wifes engine. I need to give hime all the help I can. Even if it means not working on my car and getting it ready for the show. At least his engine will be covered by insurance. I just can't say no to him after the way he dropped everything and helped me out.

Mikey 1972GL June 10th 2004 16:47

That's cool, I understand I hope everything works out. I would do the same thing in your position. :D

Mike

boygenius June 11th 2004 02:05

2 Attachment(s)
Here are some pics of the RX-7 oil cooler set-up.

NO_H2O June 13th 2004 16:12

As I was ready to hunt down an RX7 cooler today I was informed that our lawn mower engine expiered in a great cloud of blue smoke. With the fact that we have only had 1 income since Nov. and $$$ has been tight. It looks as if the new lawn mower will have to come out of the vehicle tag fund(5 cars all due in AUG). So I will have to pass on the oil cooler search and try to build up the Tag fund before Aug. I will still be at the HOD show but the black car will have to wait. Oh well. I'm sure I'm not the only one that has been in a thight spot.

boygenius June 13th 2004 19:55

Quote:

As I was ready to hunt down an RX7 cooler today I was informed that our lawn mower engine expiered in a great cloud of blue smoke. With the fact that we have only had 1 income since Nov. and $$$ has been tight. It looks as if the new lawn mower will have to come out of the vehicle tag fund(5 cars all due in AUG). So I will have to pass on the oil cooler search and try to build up the Tag fund before Aug. I will still be at the HOD show but the black car will have to wait. Oh well. I'm sure I'm not the only one that has been in a thight spot.

Bummer... :( Sorry to hear about that man. If there is anything I can do let me know.

NO_H2O June 14th 2004 15:44

Found a 2nd gen. RX7 in a yard close to me. It is a 13B engine. I almost had the cooler out when the down pour started. They want $15 for the cooler. I was trying to get the lines with it. Can't get the long one to break loose and the back of the block and i didn't have anything to cut it with. I will have to return and cut the line. The car is to low to the ground to get under it and try to break it loose. I won't be able to make it back today(got to work tonight). Hope is not lost but time is not on my side. I still need to get it, clean it inside and out, fab some brakets for mounting and the 4 fans I have then mount and plumb it(then hope it holds up better than the Volvo coolers). I will run the oil to the cooler and then the filter just incase it has some funk left in it.