GermanLook Forums

GermanLook Forums (https://www.germanlook.net/forums/index.php)
-   VolkSport Käfer Gruppe (https://www.germanlook.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   Bad Drivers (https://www.germanlook.net/forums/showthread.php?t=4412)

Mikey 1972GL June 1st 2004 17:16

Bad Drivers

I was driving home today, when I came up to a stop sign the girl behind me didn't stop. My Betty got rear ended!! :bawling: I drive good, obe all the traffic laws. Then some absent-minded teen runs my poor old car over. :(

My rear apron is pushed in now, the deck lid is smashed, and she broke my aluminum crank pully. It's driveable, but it looks bad. I'm not even mad at the stupid girl. :( I'm tooo understanding. but...

I WILL BE AT THE HoD SHOW :D this won't stop me from going.

Mike

boygenius June 1st 2004 19:51

Sorry to hear about your car. :( I almost had 4 girls all talking on there cell phones run me over on my bike. NOT FUN... And I had my VW rear ended twice in a year. :(

zen June 1st 2004 20:19

man. that sucks. i hate stupid drivers. which means i hate a lot. sorry to hear the news.

NO_H2O June 1st 2004 23:05

That sux, your alot nicer than I would have been if she had hit my car.......and god help her if she would have hit my Black one.

Mikey 1972GL June 1st 2004 23:09

Thanks for the support. I love my car, but it might get put to rest. :bawling: my friend offered me a good deal on a 1 owner rust free '74 standard, after i get the insurance money. But that brings up a new possiblity... take the money and buy a better project car :rolleyes: with NO RUST at all.

But I won't put too much thought into that untill I have a check in my hand. :cool:

Yeah, God help the girl that hits your black car. I saw it at a show in Seveirville (i can't spell) about a year ago. and it looked great then.. :agree:

Mike

vujade June 2nd 2004 08:38

sorry to hear about that Mikey... :(

I got hit years ago in my second karmann ghia. It totaled my ghia.
I had just got it painted and had early beetle headlights installed.
Man was I pissed. I think I yelled at the lady for running the stop sign.

Mikey 1972GL June 2nd 2004 12:50

I'm trying to be nice about it. Not make her look like a complete stupid girl, but, literaly, right before I got hit, I saw her in the mirror and she wasn't even looking in my direction. The police report makes it out like I stopped fast and she couldn't stop in time. The way I see it, I reacted to the situation in front of me and she wasn't paying attention. :mad: I talked to her insurance company today. I feel like the guy might try to give me a short end of the stick. That won't happen. I'm way too nice. :(

Sorry for the rants.

Does anyone know where I can find a value for my car? Kelly Blue Book online didn't even list it. I was told it should be worth about $2500. It had a rebuilt engine with less than 1000 miles. I paid $2000 for the car if that means something.

Mike

NO_H2O June 2nd 2004 13:24

I would find a POS 1600 and stuff in it and take everything good out of it as fast as you can. I'm sure they will try to poke you for it. They will get away will everything you will let them get away with. The Samba might be a good referance for value.

Mikey 1972GL June 2nd 2004 16:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by NO_H2O
The Samba might be a good referance for value.

I called the local courthouse and they said $3200 for a '72 standard, and $3900 for a super. :eek: I like that number better than $2500.

I miss driving my car, I have to drive my mom's '73 standard. no cd player, stock exahust, no fuzzy seat covers... :bawling:

Mike

jhelgesen June 2nd 2004 16:42

If they total it out and write you a fat check, ask them what the buy back would be on the car, maybe you could make a few more $$ on the parts.

Mikey 1972GL June 2nd 2004 16:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by jhelgesen
If they total it out and write you a fat check, ask them what the buy back would be on the car, maybe you could make a few more $$ on the parts.

Or a Great project that just needs an engine or transmission, parts I'll already have :agree:. either way, I know a guy that'll buy it and part it out. so at least my baby will give something to the "volkswagen comunity", sorry I'm REALLY attached to this car. :bawling: My project is dead before it really gets started. at least it's not finished, I'd have a heart attack :eek:

Mike

NO_H2O June 2nd 2004 19:11

I would swap the stereo and the engine before they total it and then see if you can but it back (if it is still strait). Put a removable rear apron and some fat rear fenders on it then get a rear 944 set-up for it.

boygenius June 2nd 2004 21:50

I hate dealing with insurance companies... When I crashed my motorcycle the insurance company totaled the bike and took the title. The damage was all cosmetic and the bike still ran fine. So I bought it back for $800 and drove it around for another year and then sold it as a race bike for $1500. When dealing with insurance companies remember this. "If you are stuck with the feeling that you are being screwed, you probably are"... Oh yea , don't be afraid to loot your car of anything valuable if they won't sell it back to you. If you need some junk engine parts to stick in there I have a bad case with cracked heads and some cylinders. It will at least look like an engine if they take it away. :(

Mikey 1972GL June 27th 2004 20:24

:cool: Good news, I got a Fat check for $3025.30 and I got to keep the car. The only problem is I had to salvage the title and try to get a rebuilt title. But all I have to do is buy another good Bug title from someone in Kentucky and change the numbers. Also if I get the title from in Kentucky I don't have to get it inspected to make sure the numbers match.

Now, I'm looking for a rust free, driveable, Karmann Ghia coupe, I'd like it to be '69 and newer, IRS :rolleyes: . My budget at this time is $3000, but it's growing daily. :) I got my eye on thesamba.com but if someone knows a guy or has a friend that has one for sale. That would help a bunch. Thanks.

Mike

NO_H2O June 27th 2004 21:21

Kevin Smith knows of one in Fla. but it needs some pan work.