GermanLook Forums

GermanLook Forums (https://www.germanlook.net/forums/index.php)
-   VolkSport Käfer Gruppe (https://www.germanlook.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   Oasis's car in the DTM shop for an upgrade (https://www.germanlook.net/forums/showthread.php?t=7849)

NO_H2O September 7th 2006 23:24

5 Attachment(s)
Pix from shop.

NO_H2O September 7th 2006 23:27

2 Attachment(s)
More pics from shop.

oasis September 8th 2006 08:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scotts73SB
Where did Oasis end up getting the rear apron from? I never heard or i missed it.

I bought it from a guy in Florida off of the Samba. There is a place that carries them stateside, but were out of stock when I checked six or so weeks ago. There are two sources overseas from America -- one being in Japan. I can dig up the details if necessary.

The guy in Florida had more than one I think, so a search on the Samba may be profitable if in a hurry.

Quote:

Originally Posted by NO_H2O
Pix from shop.

What ... a ... tease ... :D

Panelfantastic September 8th 2006 19:02

HEY! Whats with those windows in the wheel wells!?! That's CHEATING.:p

Jeff- :D

NO_H2O September 8th 2006 23:35

Those panels are great.
Everything is in and we have driven it a good bit today. I will drive it to Atlanta and pick Oasis up in the morning. He is on a train heading down here now.

Bullyboy September 10th 2006 14:37

You wouldn't want to give me the dimensions/ location of the panel? I have a 61' that I want to make the access holes in, but I don't have a complete engine to put in there to see where the carbs, spark plugs, etc. line up. :(

NO_H2O September 10th 2006 20:39

I used a 8x8 inch panel and bent it a 15 deg. down the center, then took the upper/aft. corner off. Lay it in the fender well and trace it out. Lay out your cut lines 3/4 inch inside the tracing and cut it out on the inner line. Drill the fastener holes tru both the panels and the fender wall and mount the nutplates.:agree:

NO_H2O September 10th 2006 20:47

I picked Oasis up at the Amtrack station in Atlanta in his car. Just to make an arrival, i hammered it from the traffic light just south of the station so he would know I was comming. He was right out front and had a huge grin on his face when I pulled up. That grin didn't leave his face for the remainder of the weekend. We shook it down some and he went to work buffung and waxing the car for it's debut at the Taccoa Bug Fair were it parked in Jake Raby's area. He got a nice Super 40 trophy for his efforts then headed off for home. I talked to him a little while ago by phone and the car is performing great and the grin is still on his face.
Enjoy your car Dennis.

Massive Type IV September 10th 2006 21:30

Oasis is one happy dude! One hell of a nice guy that is certainly deserving his new baby, he waited long enough!

I was glad to have it in my corral with the 6 other Type IV powered beasts and two more that'll soon be getting TIV power!

Bullyboy September 10th 2006 22:53

Way cool Dennis :agree:
All them horsies in a Super to boot:D

Quote:

Drill the fastener holes tru both the panels and the fender wall and mount the nutplates.
Thanks NO_H2O
Ahh .... was going to ask about the nut plates
How far from the fire wall is the hole? I was thinking about 1"
thanks Mark

NO_H2O September 11th 2006 09:08

I can't remember how far from the firewall. Make the panels first and they will locate themselves on the bend.

Bullyboy September 11th 2006 13:23

Cool Thanks

oasis September 12th 2006 00:15

Got back to Crab Town mid-afternoon. Still smiling. :D

Dave (NO_H2O) and his buddy, Kevin, did a fantastic job. Speaking of jobs, I have to get to work tomorrow and my alarm will be set for 3:15 AM -- that's 0315, Jake ;) . I will nab my daughter's camera for a more complete photo shoot -- maybe this weekend. Those access panels are just the tip of the ice berg when it comes to the attention to detail that was performed. In the meantime, here's a quick recap ...

Everyone was real cool -- making my visit an enjoyable one. And that is saying a lot. I don't typically travel well to begin with. Buying an engine sight unseen is against my general nature and has an element of stress with me. Not only can I not offer enough thanks for the work that was performed but also for all of the advice Dave, Jake and others gave along the way. I'm sure some of it probably seemed like hand-holding at times but no one was ever put off by my countless questions.

Dave even called twice during my journey home wanting to know everything. That meant a lot to me.

My car got a Top 40 award at the Toccoa show. Dave tried to convince me it was because I waxed the thing but I'm not stupid. Most of the show-goers were staring at his handywork.

The trip home had some funny events. For the most part, I wanted to keep running at a steady 65-70 MPH. The 2056 handled that between yawns. What we east coasters would call mountains, the 2056 treated like a mole hills.

When I drove the stocker to Georgia, my maintained speed of 60-65 would trail downwards if I stopped paying attention. Driving back, my speed would pick up from 65-70 if I wasn't careful.

Traffic conditions sometimes dictated for me to pick it up intentionally. Almost every time it happened, someone wanted to get even as if how dare I drive a li'l ol' Beetle at 85 and pass them. Once I got around the crowd, I reminded myself I didn't want to flog the new machine.

The funny thing was most of the people who were offended by me were very atypical for wanting a race. There were older folks -- yes, older than me -- pick-up trucks, minivans, and even a would-be 18-wheeler (trailerless). Once in Virginia, I shadowed behind the passer just to let him know it was no fluke and to let him take the lead on any speeding tickets. As I got closer to home, I took roads that allowed for a more entertaining ride.

The truth is I have no idea what the limits might be. It is also mind boggling to think my Type IV was probably the weak sister of the bunch. What I do know is this set-up is exactly what I was looking for -- very, very driveable; plenty of oomph to disregard hills and slow pokes as obstacles; reasonable fuel economy; effortless at legal speed limits; no weezing when I want to kick it; no running out of pull when the RPM's get elevated; and fun, fun, fun.

Did I mention I'm still smiling? :laugh:

chug_A_bug September 12th 2006 00:48

hehe sounds like you had a blast can't wait to see the pics :)
I can't wait to save up to get my T4 from jake :)

NO_H2O September 12th 2006 01:37

I'm glad your trip home was a fun one. I know what you are saying about people not wanting to be passed by an old VW. I have a blast with folks driving Joel's bus on the freeway. I roll that thing at 70-80 to and from work. RAT type 4's are sweet. If they don't like beeing passed by a Bug,,,,,,, They realy hate beeing passed by a Bus.:D