GermanLook Forums

GermanLook Forums (https://www.germanlook.net/forums/index.php)
-   Engines (https://www.germanlook.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Fan Housing Strap (https://www.germanlook.net/forums/showthread.php?t=2635)

Schmuck69 July 25th 2003 02:23

Fan Housing Strap

I have the sharpbuilt 911 cooling kit for my type-4 and have one simple question that I can't see to get the anwser to.

Where do you get the strap to hold down the fan housing to the base?

All of the pictures that I see of the sharpbuilt kit and others all have what appears to be a two-piece strap that is different from the stock 911 strap. Someone throw me a bone here and help me out.

PLEASE,
Britain

kdanie July 25th 2003 15:04

Your kit should have them included. If not they are a simple piece to build. They are just metal (usually stainless) with a few holes and some bends. A sheet metal shop can build them for very little $$.
ken

Massive Type IV July 29th 2003 02:44

Welcome to the House of pain.....That strap is the biggest pain in the *** that I encounter with a 911 fan....

The strap should come from a 82-88 911, they work best. I cut the strap in half and use the mormon clamp to join the 2 halves at the 12 o clock point of the fan assembly. You can look at the pics of it on my site on some completed engines.

The machine work on the right case half is super important for the correct placement of the strap in the center of the fan ring and must be done with no errors.

This strap can take a solid day to goof with to do the right way, thats how llong it takes me everytime....

The stock 911 strap is the only way to go, as the other shrouds that use a machined ring have straps that are too short.

I do this all the time, and absolutely hate it. I have to do one tomorrow and I'm not looking forward to it.

Wally July 30th 2003 07:15

Jake,
Have you got any experience with the BAS set-up?
I had Bernd machine the case and fan ring for me, bought his strap and shroud and it literally took 10 minutes to assemble it. Very stable construction too, probably because of the lower sitting fan.
Walter

zen July 30th 2003 08:46

c/f replacement? (hint, hint) ;)

nbturbo July 31st 2003 03:48

Fan Ring

I also purchased a Sharpbuilt 911 shroud kit for my Type 4 conversion and Mike told me to modify the 911 ring-O.K. if you can find one.I had a sheetmetal shop roll a piece 2mm flat steel(1metre long by 50mm wide) until the ends touched.I then got a piece of angle (25mm by 3.2 thick and 50mm long)spot welded to each of the ends.After having the case machined and fitting the fan cradle(I also bolted the Porsche fan ring to the cradle with 2 cap screws) I cut the rolled strap in the centre(opposite the loose ends)and it was really easy to locate the 2 bits of angle iron of the rolled strap at the 12 o'clock position with about 25mm gap,and clamped them together and to the ring.The real hard part was then working out where to cut the ends to locate at the distributor stud and the 2 by 6mm bolts for the other end.I think by bolting the fan ring to the saddle made it a lot easier.I drilled the angles to use 2 bolts to hold the 2 halves together with 6mm high tensile bolts.

nbturbo July 31st 2003 06:19

Fan Ring

1 Attachment(s)
A pic-not a lot of detail

nbturbo July 31st 2003 06:26

Fan Ring

1 Attachment(s)
Another