GermanLook Forums

GermanLook Forums (https://www.germanlook.net/forums/index.php)
-   Off Topic (https://www.germanlook.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   Good car for going to school... (https://www.germanlook.net/forums/showthread.php?t=4308)

boygenius May 12th 2004 20:06

Good car for going to school...

I was thinking of going to motorcycle mechanics school to finally get a degree and get the BUG bucks. It will be 100 miles round trip 5 days a week plus the 60 miles a day I already drive to work everyday. Thats 800 miles a week and 3,200 miles a month not including going to car shows and club get-to-gethers. :laugh: What would be some good reliable cars that I should look at to buy. I don't know if I will buy new or used. There is one catch though, it still has to be cool :cool: . Any help would be appreciated. :D

zen May 12th 2004 21:15

i much are you looking to spend?

Timmy_Barns May 12th 2004 21:42

Well (Oh man Im gonna get smacked for this) you could always go with a Motorcycle.

boygenius May 12th 2004 22:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by Timmy_Barns
Well (Oh man Im gonna get smacked for this) you could always go with a Motorcycle.

I almost bought one, but they are so expensive to maintain.

boygenius May 12th 2004 22:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by zen
i much are you looking to spend?

10K to 15K... :)

Supa Ninja May 12th 2004 23:35

I'm with Timmy, on the bike, especialy since you will be able to do your own maintance. You won't be able to get much new car for 10-15. It's wutever you can see yourself driving/riding. If you want economy get a chevy metro, but that definitely ain't cool.

Nick

boygenius May 13th 2004 01:20

There was a wrecked bike at my shop but the guy didn't want to sell it in its wrecked condition. :rolleyes: The only problem with the bike is the long boring drive. Get up at 7:30 am to be at work at 8:30 am to 3:30 pm. Drive to school to be at class at 5:00pm and stay untill 11:00 pm then drive home so that is 12:00 am. A bike sounds good untill you drive 800 miles a week on one. :rolleyes:

NO_H2O May 13th 2004 02:36

Tdi...........

kenfyoozed May 13th 2004 08:57

get a kia! lol for like 7k and when it dies buy another for 7k! its a win win situation! :laugh: just kiddin of course!

Rob May 13th 2004 09:48

Subaru Impreza RS

Rob

justdubbin May 13th 2004 15:46

Good car for going to school...

Boy am I glad I'm in the UK cuz you guys would wana smack me for this ....... have you thought of some type of diesel Jap car, diesel = excellent fuel economy + fewer service intervals, Jap = reliable,
Down Side a bit boring to drive & every damn D!CK head ricer would want to race you.
Another plus point, you can sell it to an up and coming D!CK head ricer when you have finished with it .........

As I have no idea what car prices are in the US this might not be possible but it's worth a thought.

zen May 13th 2004 17:34

i stand buy my GTI recommendation in the chat. you get a solid car with decent power, sporty, fun to drive, and cool. optionally, don't they have TDI's in the Golfs as well? throw a winch on the back and you can pull stumps for mad money on the weekends. :D

NO_H2O May 13th 2004 18:14

Yep. Golf TDI 5 speed. Cool car and 50 mpg. :agree:

boygenius May 13th 2004 19:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by NO_H2O
Yep. Golf TDI 5 speed. Cool car and 50 mpg. :agree:

I was thinking about the TDI engine.

GTI looking better everyday.

Subaru is a no go because I would be too tempted to rally it. :laugh:

It all depends on the insurance for the different engines. The TDI might be more to insure because of the turbo over the VR6 engine. I will have to do my homework. :D

ShApE May 13th 2004 19:59

89 honda prelude SI, 4 wheel steering is pretty cool if u ask me!

boygenius May 16th 2004 18:47

I'm headed off to look at VW's tomorrow. I found a few low mile GTI's in my price range. Best part is that one dealer is also a porsche dealer so I can get my chassis hardware that I need. It is a win win situation for me. :)

boygenius May 24th 2004 16:01

OK I was thinking about the milage I wiil be driving and the price of gas and the TDI is starting to look very good. Now I am thinking of either a Golf TDI or a Jetta TDI. What are some things I should know about a diesel car before I buy one. My freind keeps warning me about "BAD" diesel and there is only 2 places in my town to get "GOOD" diesel. Is there such a thing as bad diesel or is it just the fact that he had a 1982 mercedes with 200K on the odometer. What type of maintainence is involved with this type of car. I heard things like I have to run injector cleaner through it every couple of thousand miles. What is the real story with VW TDI maintainence. And what are some real MPG numbers I can expect to see. 60% highway and 40% city driving is what I will be driving most of the time. :D

oasis May 24th 2004 16:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by boygenius
I was thinking about the TDI engine ... It all depends on the insurance for the different engines. The TDI might be more to insure because of the turbo over the VR6 engine.

I have 2002 Golf GLS TDI and a 2002 Cabrio GLX. The Cabrio is more to insure. A GTI with a 1.8T or VR6 would be much more than either.

Finding a used TDI with respectable miles is going to be tough, though, and they would command a premium. I know I wouldn't sell mine for 15 grand.

Don't be too quick to diss the 2.0 liter. It gets its "two-point-slow" monicker from the quarter-mile boyz. In truth, it will do 90 MPH comfortably if you're so inclined -- don't know what top speed is but there are some fantastic claims going around which I don't believe -- and it is the most reliable petrol-burner in the Volkswagen fleet. As a bonus, if you're doing mostly highway miles at saner over-the-speed-limit velocities, you'll get 32-33 MPG. I do, and my Cabrio is heavier than its tin-top cousin.

boygenius May 24th 2004 16:51

I thought about the regular 2.0 but I need something with get up and go. About 20 miles of my planned commute is a 2 lane road frequented semi's and other large slow moving trucks and cars. There is just enough on-coming traffic to keep you in your lane and afraid to pass. I just worry about getting stuck behind a truck for 20 miles at 45mph and be late for school. Besides the 800 + miles a week I will be driving I'm looking for EXTREME fuel economy, like 45 + mpg. What grade of fuel is required for the 2.0 VW engine.

oasis May 24th 2004 16:55

Quote:

Is there such a thing as bad diesel or is it just the fact that he had a 1982 mercedes with 200K on the odometer. What type of maintainence is involved with this type of car. I heard things like I have to run injector cleaner through it every couple of thousand miles. What is the real story with VW TDI maintainence. And what are some real MPG numbers I can expect to see. 60% highway and 40% city driving is what I will be driving most of the time.

Maybe there is such a thing as "bad" diesel, but I've never encountered it. I owned an '81 Pickup LX for five years (wish I still had it :bawling: ) and I've owned the aforementioned Golf for two years.

TDI info: My wife drives very little highway and she gets 38-43 MPG routinely. Our best is 50.1. Doing 60/40 in Florida with the a/c on half the time should net you 43-47 MPG in my opinion based on our figures. Running the a/c makes a difference, but so does highway driving with the windows down.

Maintenance: Nothing special as far as time intervals are concerned. Obviously, there are differences. The biggest difference is you must use synthetic oil with a TDI. Forget the injector cleaner stories. Routine maintenance every 5000 miles with the Pickup netted me trouble-free driving from a 78k odometer reading to 152k.

Frankly, I wish my Cabbie had a TDI, but we didn't get such things in the states. Regardless if you look at a Golf or Jetta, just make sure it was owned properly previously.

oasis May 24th 2004 17:00

Quote:

I thought about the regular 2.0 but I need something with get up and go. About 20 miles of my planned commute is a 2 lane road frequented semi's and other large slow moving trucks and cars. There is just enough on-coming traffic to keep you in your lane and afraid to pass. I just worry about getting stuck behind a truck for 20 miles at 45mph and be late for school. Besides the 800 + miles a week I will be driving I'm looking for EXTREME fuel economy, like 45 + mpg. What grade of fuel is required for the 2.0 VW engine.

Then, you definitely would want a TDI because you will appreciate the torque advantage in passing. The 2.0 uses regular unlike the 1.8T or the VR6.

Oh, and for whatever it's worth, I never could tell any difference between diesel and premium diesel in either of my diesel-goers -- supposedly with a higher cetane rating (whatever that is).

boygenius May 24th 2004 17:03

OK what is the power like with TDI. Is it enough to pass a truck on the highway without taking too long. Which engine has more pep, the TDI or the 2.0???

NO_H2O May 24th 2004 17:44

My wife loves her TDI, it has plenty of power and if you chip it it will realy go. Many people have to do a clutch upgrade after chipping. The last road trip she went on was to Moragntown WV. and it got 48mpg. Remember her car has an auto-trans. A 5 speed will be 2-3 mpg more than an auto.
BAD FUEL = OLD FUEL. Get your fuel from a station that goes through lots of fuel.

Here is a great site for TDI info.
http://www.tdiclub.com/

boygenius May 24th 2004 19:00

Thanks for the link NO_H2O... There is so much information there it will keep me reading for hours... :D

NO_H2O May 25th 2004 02:56

Hours? I spent a week on it when I first found it.

boygenius May 25th 2004 18:42

There is one major problem with the TDI though... Finding one for sale at a reasonable price. I guess since the price of fuel went up the the demand for TDI's went up also. I might just get the 2.0 with a 5 speed. They are about 5K cheaper for the same year car... :rolleyes:

NO_H2O May 25th 2004 18:58

They have always been more $$$. Just a little more now because of demand.
Hmmmmm... same milage as a "Hybrid", cheaper fuel that you can get anywhere and more power. :rolleyes:
I would like to have a 5 speed Golf TDI with some mods, BUT I'm an Air-cooled guy.

undecided May 25th 2004 22:12

with a little work, you can make a TDI just as fast as 1.8t or even a VR6. and (assuming you don't lead-foot it all day long) you won't sacrifice too much mpg. and it's a VW, so it looks good. or you could go for a mkII GTI. find a killer 20v and it'll suit you just fine, and they still look good.

just my 2-cents.

boygenius May 26th 2004 00:40

There are so many options out there I'm having trouble deciding on 1 car to buy. I could just finish the beetle and drive that, the solid engine mounts and the loud straight through Ti muffler should keep me awake on the long boring :sleep: drive to and from school. Or I could get the 2004 Yamaha R-1 I have been keeping my eye on. Over 160 whp and it gets 40mpg. Did I mention it goes 108mph in first gear. :laugh: It is basicly a street legal GP bike... ;)

oasis May 26th 2004 11:52

TDIs passing trucks in stock form? No problem. They have nearly the same torque as a 1.8T in stock form and they achieve it at 1900 RPMs. They live for third, fourth and fifth gears.

At 35 MPH, I'd rather accelerate with my TDI than my 2.0. At a stop sign? Reverse answer.

TDIs can be chipped. 2.0s can be supercharged. In the end you might spend the same on either if you're inclined to modify. However, the TDI's mileage won't fluctuate much whereas the 2.0's mileage may suffer 2 MPG depending on which s/c you go with.

Hybrids have been coming under serious fire for not delivering their listed MPGs as compared to petrol and diesel cars.

boygenius May 26th 2004 19:42

I found a nice looking 2001 Golf 2.0 for sale.. $8,500 is what the dealer is asking. I has about 40,000 miles on it and it looks really clean. Silver with black interior. Best part is that the VW/Porsche/BMW dealer is right across the street. :D

Poor Realist May 26th 2004 19:57

My 2 cents...

If you really are looking for a car for school, I would highly suggest the TDI if you can afford it, or any diesel for that matter. I've never owned any water pumpers, but here's why I say to do this:

Depending on how much driving you do and what climate you will be in, you will save lots and lots of money. Basically, you can get your fuel for about $0.10 per gallon by adding a T-valve, some hoses, and a vegetable oil tank. It's a common conversion with many kits on the market. With your TDI and the conversion, you can run dinodiesel, biodiesel, and veggiediesel. Why? Mr. Diesel designed his engine to run on peanut oil. You just have to be willing to gather waste vegetable oil form restaurants and filter it so you don't get french fries in your fuel tank. My next car will be a diesel engine no matter what the price of fuel is.

Check out these links:
www.greasel.com
www.greasecar.com

There's plenty more info out there...

boygenius June 1st 2004 00:25

1 Attachment(s)
I may have found the ultimate cool car for school. There is a 1977 911 s for sale right by my house. It has a 3.2 liter engine in it and it looks to be in good shape. Anybody know anything about engine codes??? 930 101 104 5R is that engine really a 3.2 liter... :confused:

or maybe one of these... :laugh:

craazy Cooter June 1st 2004 10:11

Just buy a used post 93 civic. No hyundais or kias. You want to GET to school right?

LOAF June 1st 2004 12:57

If weather is an issue, and reliability is a factor.. go subaru..

for about 10k, you can get a post 2002 2.5 RS which is functional, cool and has a flat four.. for a little more a 20002 WRX, which is all the above and fun..

Just be careful, you will find yourself modding the Rex instead of the VW...

Had it for over 50k and find it to be reliable, and efficient.. as long as you stay off the accelerator..

Just my 2 cents and putting another option out there..

Alex

boygenius June 1st 2004 20:01

Thw WRX is out of the question. I have no self control with a turbo car. My freind is a WRX guru so I would go NUTS with performance parts. I have never been in a civic that wasn't RICED out so I don't know how well they ride or how comfortable they will be to drive 1,000 miles a week. Is the Boxster not a reliable car??? I have decided against the 911 after looking at a few maintaince items...