View Single Post
Old August 11th 2003, 09:08
Administrator

My first Autocross

MAN THAT WAS FUN !!!

Pete and I spent Friday evening tuning my bug trying to get the front end to stick ... problem was 14yr old front tires (195/50) and 3 month old rears (195/65).

I had understeer and we finally got it to the point where I wasn't fighting the car that much.

The event was pretty cool, 4 aircooled bugs in my class including me and I finished LAST !! I just couldn't get the gates figured out... I had 5 runs and the last run was ALMOST perfect but I missed 1 gate. In this event, if you miss a gate its a DNF.

The course was tight, and there was one hairpin turn that was too tight for a dropped bug. The turning radius was not there, but the watercooled cars ATE that corner up.

My best time was 71s and the overall winner had 61s so about 10s off the pace. The fastest bug on the course was 74s.

All of the other bugs had T1 engines and you could tell they were shifting between first through second on the course ... but with my T4, I peeled out of the starter box and then kept it in second through the rest of the course. The car never bogged and the torque was there ... but so was the understeer.

IF I was going to set the car up for AX, I'd use 944 NA brakes and 16x7 and 16x8 Fuchs with appropriate rubber .. but I'm not .. I'm a DIE HARD Road Racer :silly:

I had some nice comments from some of the watercooled AXr's .. they said my engine sounded HUGE ... Might be the dynomax muffler ? .. and that I had the best run "visually" out of all the bugs.

Anyways, I had a blast, but I'm really looking forward to the day I take my bug on a racetrack !!

Sandeep