View Single Post
Old March 25th 2004, 03:49

Ron, I appeared to have you fooled. It took me a long time to figure that out. I first saw how the relationship works about 5 years ago. A guy I know didn't install the 3rd bolt attaching the TA to the SP, and the rear of his TAs tilted up causing lots of +ve camber. I tilted it down and got -ve camber. At that time I didn't understand why this happened, I just knew the relationship.

Then when Mike posted the opposite a couple of nights ago, I again thought of why and it finally came to me.

In your first paragraph, you have it exactly right. When the pivot axis is parallel to the torsion bar there is no camber change. A perfect example is the front suspension on a torsion bar Bug. This design exhibits absolutely no camber changes of the susp relative to the car's chassis. Unfortunately body roll causes the tire to be positive camber relative to the ground.

If you move the inner pivot up, how does this give you "anti-squat"? Squat as I know it is caused when there is weight transfer, like when you dump the clutch. How can moving the pivot up prevent weight transfer?
If you do move it up you get radical positive camber. I have a friend who converted his 54 swing axle pan to IRS by welding in the pivot points. By mistake they got the pivots in too low. Its not much, but it caused horrible negative camber. Even after flipping the TAs left to right, he still had negative camber. If your chassis is an original IRS one, raising the inner pivot would be difficult. Raising both inner and outer would be even more difficult. I don't see the point. The geometry change wouldn't be any different from stock.

In looking at the red tube chassis suspension, I think the long link (that replaces the spring plates) is that long for convenience. It had to be that long to reach the chassis. Just a guess. Being so long is bad for camber change. Small changes in ride height will cause massive camber changes. It doesn't look like the car is finished, so he probably doesn't know what's going to happen. I think you are right. Its going to be hell on the inner rubber pivots. Worse if he's got urethane. If you look at the stock pivot bolt, its axis, if extended, would probably intersect with the center of the torsion bar at the spring plate. Thus there is no binding. But move that outer pivot that far forward, you're in trouble.