View Single Post
Old January 19th 2005, 16:09

Dang, I thought I responded to this yesterday. Anyway, I'll try again.
Quote:
Originally Posted by eisblau
If you have time till May, 1st I can take a lot of BAS muffler pictures at the "Maikäfertreffen"
Oh, I'll have time. I'm still in the fact-finding stage.
Quote:
On your car (The photo you posted) the muffler will fit about 90% or more and one exhaust tip will exit on the left
That's just it. I saw a picture in Keith Seume's book which exits at both outlets on a stock apron. It is reportedly a BAS exhaust. In fact, the picture is of an older standard Beetle with a Type IV engine. If I get the chance, I will post that picture.
Quote:
Now I have a question about your rear taillights! Are these original U.S. spec? Do they have a reflector on the side (yellow or red?) and are there any more differences to the Euro spec.? I am looking for them a long time in Germany, but they were not available.
Those taillights were US-only for the 1971 and 1972 model years. They are larger than the European counterparts, although not as large as the 1973-onward "elephant's feet."

The reflectors are red. Their size would dictate you needing an entire assembly. (Yellow or amber reflectors were for the front. They were incorporated in the fender-mounted indicators from 1971-79 in the states. Bumper-incorporated indicators were never officially offered in the states.)

The taillight assemblies are available here, still. Some aftermarket doodle makes lenses in that size in the European color configuration (amber/red/clear) but Volkswagen only ever offered them as red/red/clear.

I'll trade you two assemblies for a BAS exhaust.