View Single Post
Old May 30th 2005, 01:38

Removing my struts....... I'm stuck

I spent today dismantling the steering and suspension on my 72' super. We were trying to install adjustable struts, which are all assembled, ready to throw in. I had everything done properly, and the strut hanging there, and I was unable to get the strut out of the steering knuckle as it's rusted in there so badly.

I ended up removing the entire strut assembly and steering knuckle, with drum attached, from the car, and gave it my all to get it out. I've been told that it's hard to remove, but I never imagined it being this tough.

Is it in there for good? We had it in a vice, reefed on it with a hammer, heated it in an attempt to expand it, pounded some more, and still no give. The only other options thing I think I can do is put it in a press, and push the thing out (which wasn't available at the place we were at today). Or else, buy a new parts, then tear down and re-build my breaks on the new struts.

Has anyone else had this hard of a time getting the things out? Is there anything else I can do? I don't want to rip things apart again unless it's going to work for sure. I'm already needing an alignment