Thread: 930 ratios
View Single Post
Old June 14th 2005, 08:56

930 - Ultimate strength. According to the V8-914 guys, the perfect ratios for a V8 car.

Did an interesting comparo - plotted both the 914 and WRX ratios on my Excel spreadsheet gear ratio calculator. Since I'm coupling the WRX motor to the 914 trans, I'm interested to see how the two trannies compare ratio-wise, and in particular interested to know how well the combo "loads" the turbo to make boost.
Turns out, first gears are all but identical. All the other ratios progressively drift slightly wider apart as you go up through the gears. The 914 ratios provide a slightly closer ratio gear spacing than the WRX, to the tune of about a 200RPM difference between 5th gears @ 70mph (with my 255/45-17 rear tire size). Overall, the 914 box just looks like a slightly closer ratio WRX trans. It should work well behind the WRX powerplant! I'm only planning to tune the motor to around 250hp or so, which should be adequate since the whole vehicle should weigh in ~ 1400lbs.

Steve, I haven't read any info regarding any "undesirable" aspects of the 930 shift pattern (unlike the 901/914), so I'm guessing it's a standard H. Don't know about reverse location. Plotting the 930 ratios, darned if they (the 2/3/4 gears) don't nearly fall right on top of the 3/4/5 ratios of the WRX trans, with only a very slight taller ratio on the 930 4th compared to the WRX 5th. The 930 1st is a near dead split between the WRX 1st & 2nd. Interesting..
Jeff