Thread: 915 gearbox
View Single Post
Old November 16th 2005, 05:47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bugat5speed
Wally, itīs nice for you that your English is better than mine. Congratulations on it.
My remark was in no way meant to be offensive Martin. It just read sort of funny and I hope a little humor is allowed in Germany as well as over here

Quote:
Are you sure talking of a 5-speed 915-gearbox being in the same position as a Beetle gearbox? Nothing is cut off at the gearbox, or the spring tube at the frame? The 915 is even longer than the original 901-gearbox with a short nose cone. A 901/914 with my short nose cone has 10 mm space to the spring tube in the front and in the back it is there where the bellhousing of the type 1 gearbox ends.
Can not imagine what you wrote here. Have lots of customers who have worked with 915s in the past and who are all expecting my new 915 nose cone. Are they all on the wrong way, or do they like spending money without a use of it?

Martin
I just described MY experience from doing the swap. I am in no way an expert to this, as I have only done my own conversion.
In the past I have described my 915 swap in detail with pictures, which sort of let you see, what I described
The info is right on this site:

http://www.germanlook.com/Forums/sho...&highlight=915

I have had the same engine in the 1303S trans and with the same BAS exhaust header, I had even a little more clearence with the 915 then with the 1303 tranny. Not kidding. You may not believe me, but thats not really my concern.

I have only grinded away the mounting plate where the original two tranny bolts had been attached to. That gives a fair amount of additional clearence. The torsion tubes themselves, I have left alone, as well as the nose cone. The clearence with the torsion tubes and trans is however only 2 or 3 mm's, but I have raced this set-up hard on our track at Zandvoort and with many drag-style starts and nothing touched ever!

Also, my trans is a 915/40, so yes, its a 5-speed and it even has the 100mm CV hubs, so any 100mm VW Bus T2 CV will fit (I use T3 axles). And this is stock from the (porsche) factory.

If you have any questions Martin, please feel free to ask them.

Mit freundlichem Gruss,
Walter

Last edited by Wally; November 16th 2005 at 06:17.