View Single Post
Old December 22nd 2005, 17:25

Maybe I'm just not adventurous enough, but I figure that the factory probably has a couple of more brain cells into this setup than most people, and I tend to think that factory stuff is conservative so their product will last for awhile. Case in point, if the 180hp 1.8ts block was "strong enough", why did they bother to add a bunch of extra ribbing to the block and add extra oiling and piston squirters of the 225hp motor? It's only 45 more hp. Were they just bored?

Do the guys that say they have 300hp (180hp block) 1.8ts know more than the factory? I don't think so. They are cutting corners and the result is reduced longevity, reduced safety(ever seen a turbo motor fire? not pretty), and reduced drivability(yeah, I'm not really into having 300hp come on tap suddently at about 4000rpm). I just can't imagine that I would be able to tune something that the factory spent thousands of man hours on with data logging equipment that I don't have access to and get results that are superior in any way besides horsepower and torque numbers, which are only SOME of the important numbers you need to make something last for awhile. What about EGT, head temperature, transient oil pressure, knocking, fuel economy, water temp, and a bunch of stuff I've never even thought about, but I'm guess VAG did.

Here's a little something I thought about. If you put in a lightened flywheel or a turbo, your motor will spin up faster. What I suspect lags is the oil pressure/volume. Just slightly, but I think the oil is removed faster than it is replaced for just a few milliseconds before the volume catches up again. So if this keeps up, I think wear would be increased. I think that's why race engines have such big oil pumps, gotta keep that oil pressure and volume up as those motors zip up and down. That's just one of my theories, anyone care to comment? Those little changes that "modifying" creates aren't often looked at in my opinion, but when a manufacturer hots something up, they HAVE TO.

All that said, 300hp sounds fun, doesn't it? I'm only human you know!

Jason
1st Drag Run

Dyno Run
Oval Ragster-'57 Rag/'04 Boxster S