View Single Post
Old April 23rd 2006, 19:02

We get that a lot VWDMC.

They don't burn rings (how do you do that anyways??) and they will throw the heads out, if built on an old style engine. As you know the aircooled engine was produced in Brazil up until a couple of months ago. Since I don't know when, they have been a little better, and strong enough to withstand 30psi of boost (depending on compressor size) if correctly tuned.

One guy managed the 326 FWHP on a otherwise stock 1600 engine, running only a set of twin 32 throttle bodies with 8 injectors (which we allow it to pass as stock since the engines did come of the line with twin 32 cards in Brazil and later MPFI with a single throttle body, so it is a mixture of both - the extra 4 injectors, well that's just what it take to feed the bastard).

But many guys manage something like 280, 300...

It is funny you ask how is the life on those, but we in general don't seem to build 100.000 mile cars. It is more of a build it, drive for awhile, upgrade it, drive some more... so I don't know how long they will last. Probably won't last an endurance race, but then again it is not an endurance race engine. It will last a few gearboxes, clutches, broken axles, and sets of tires on the street.

The reason I mention these turbo engines is because we have been running the turbo fever ever since 1976 when alcohol came out. We have come a long way on developing these engines.

The problems and fears I hear you guys having today (such as modifying carb seals for blow through turbos, burned this, burned that) where the ones we had in the past and learned to deal with them.

I wish I could help my fellow hot rodders. Turbos are a lot of fun.

My Vw Dud is not turbo though, and that's because in Brazil to be different, you have to run dual carbs on a normally aspirated engine. Everyone runs turboed EFI.
My dayly driver though is a stock Opel Astra with a turbo kit. 300hp on an otherwise stock motor with 10psi....30.000 miles so far, only broken clutches and 2 sets of rubber.

Best regards,
Marcelo