View Single Post
Old April 27th 2006, 08:36

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkdent
If you are here for the spirit of German Look as well as the actual look, you'll want your battery and amp and anything else of any weight moved to the front of the car for handling reasons.
Absolutely. I'm right there with you.

In my opening salvo of this thread, I stated it seemed obvious to me (at that time) to place the amp up front. I also stated that moving the battery up there was something I wanted to do eventually.

There are two reasons I am not moving the battery up there now. It is an added expense I don't want to deal with at the moment while our house is being transformed. Indeed, the stereo part of the car's transformation was going to be done with the gauges, etc. of the interior, and all of that was going to be after I improved the drivetrain.

The other reason is I haven't blueprinted in my mind yet how the front trunk area is going to look. For example, I know I want a spare tire but I don't know if I am going doughnut or full-sized. I will also want an electric windshield washer pump that I haven't ordered yet. When it is all said and done, I will want as much of the front area still available for stuff.

(It dawned on me while trying to reconsider the above two reasons I actually have a third reason: I don't trust the jokers that will probably do the stereo install to do other things like moving the battery. I suppose I could buy the necessary materials and find someone who I would trust. I don't know ...)

If the amp goes in the front trunk area now, I would want it (1) protected from other stuff and (2) installed where it will stay even after future mods.

I totally agree with you on the GL aspect of this. That is one of the reasons I chose this forum over some of the others to pose this question. (Funny thing is had I purchased the 1303 I was envisioning at first and may still purchase some day, I wouldn't have a stereo of any kind ... or a back seat for that matter.)

Thanks.