View Single Post
Old May 4th 2006, 11:12

OK, I see your point... I don't know that much about VW engines, still in the process of learning, but what you're saying almost sounds a bit too good to be true
All the people I've spoken to, including a few drag racers in my club are basically saying that lots of HP in a Type1 engine will make it a lot less reliable. It seems to me (from what all these people tell me) that in making a high performance T1 engine you will either lose reliability or you have to spend a fortune on it, basically building a brand new engine with aftermarket parts... My long-term goal is to have a kustom Bug with a solid, high performance engine to use as a fun street/highway driver. But I don't want to get stuck on the road all the time, so I have considered swapping to a tuned Type 4 engine or an all-out conversion to a newer engine like a Mazda rotary.

I mean, if I could keep the "stock" engine, get good horsepower AND be sure to get home without a hassle, no one would be happier than me But until now that has seemed impossible.
Am I talking to the wrong people, like drag racers who will do anything to cut their 1/4 mile times, rather than building usable street engines?

Thanx/Daniel