View Single Post
Old August 16th 2006, 10:26

Questions and more questions ...

Hi Lanner,

One of my fellow SuperBeetlesOnly members recently received and posted on his 3 bar Kafer Cup Bars from you. He liked the fit and finish a great deal!

I'm receiving my new engine within the next month or so from Jake Raby (~200hp with 200tq) and one of the recommendations from him is to install a KCB (well, CSP was what he had listed) and seeing as how you have both the 3 bar and 5 bar setup, I'd like to look into getting my set from you.

One of my questions is what are the pros / cons between the 3 bar and 5 bar? Also, I had posted about annodizing them ... think you said an additional $C50 for the 3 bar .... what about the 5 bar? Also, what type of turnaround would we be looking at?

On to my other questions

Brakes.

I've read and reread postings from GermanLook, ShoptalkForums, and SuperBeetlesOnly .... think I've thoroughly confused myself!

Some givens for me:
  • above listed engine - Type4 by Jake Raby ~200hp/tq
  • this is my daily driver
  • this is also the car I take up and down the coast / mountains of northern California and to Mt Shasta and Nevada ... hmmm ... and driven quite enthusiastically ... some of these roads are non stop corners at grade for 30 - 90 miles at a stretch
  • Creative Car Craft +2" front fender (pre '67), +3" rear fender (73late)
  • a wider "track" is fine by me ... even desirable (i think)
  • would prefer a bolt pattern that is both popular and not likely to "disappear"
  • emergency brake required
  • Gene Berg rubber mounted trans mount (GB 643)
  • front / rear sway bars from Topline or SAW
  • rear torsion bar from SAW (i think)

Not sure if any of that was pertinent, but figured I'd list it just in case. Reminds me, I need to read up some more on the "control arms".

Also, while I'm not tied to any wheels as of yet, I do like the Porsche CupII's in 7x17 et 52 (or 55 can't remember). I like some custom Torq's just as well that I'd be able to get at a variety of sizes and offsets.

And other preferences - performance > weight > looks > "name" / brand. And of course money does figure in there somewhere. Afraid I don't have unlimited funds. And with this (brakes) being in the future (as opposed to the KCB's immediate) I can't say for sure what my budget will be. I AM married however ... and that has some built in checks and balances!!!

Having said all of that, I tend to like the "best bang for buck". Of course, who doesn't for those of us who must adher to budgets.

Given some suggested brake setups, what size wheel would be the minimum for your recommendation? 6 - 8 wide and 15 - 17 height seems to be the range of wheel sizes that I like. Any problems there?

Also, tie rods.

I've been reading as I can on the benefits of why I want to swap those out. And I can't find anything that gives me a good understanding of what they do, and why I'd want to swap them out for heavy / super duty ones.

Care to chime in on that? Or have a good link / read that you can suggest?

Guess I should wrap up and summarize after all of that!

Immediate need:
Kafer Cup Bars (which fits my needs 3 vs 5 bars)
Annodizing ... cost and options
Turnaround and cost

Future needs:
brakes
tie rods(?)

Also, since I gave you a smattering of info, is there any questions that I can answer that would help you help me?

Do'h ... I did forget this .... 1973 Super Beetle is my current project platform.

Look forward to hearing back from you!

-Aaron Greene