View Single Post
Old April 10th 2007, 10:17

Quote:
Originally Posted by GS guy View Post
one shouldn't take lightly! Talk about variations on variations!
I'm winding up with a RC about 2" or so above ground, with minimal RC movement in roll, and not too bad in bump and roll.
thats the devil in the details, a nonequal nonparalell a-arm suspension by design is a racecar suspension, performs well in bump, and also in roll, but in a bump/roll (both at the same time) not so well. so you can compromise and have a roll center that moves more thanit should in bump or roll, but moves less in a combined bump/roll

in a dune buggy, if its an offroad machine, this shouldn't be too bad since suspension movement is for the sake of articulation, not handling. but street machine, you can offset this with a big antiroll bar (what I will be doing on my lotus) front and rear.

perhaps its possible to build a perfect suspension, but we don't have the budget. so even F1 suspensions are all about compromise.

OH ya one more thing. If you want to bag your ride for adjusting your ride height, go with a equal length paralel A-arm setup, otherwise you'll have horrible handling at any height.