View Single Post
Old April 23rd 2009, 02:56

John you probably already have done your motor and all but thought I'd chime in on the Porsche 356/912 motor in a 1956 oval (Which I have).
I own a 1956 oval ragtop with a Duane Spencer built 912 with Duane's (Shasta design) oversize pistons (A whopping 86mm!!). The motor's only performance add-on was to unshroud the cylinder heads (Beiker engineering) and the Bursch exhaust. It has the dual Solex P11's. The cam is stock. Considering this, I must say that I am so impressed with the performance/power/mileage. My trans is a 4.12 R & P with an 088 4th and I average about 29 mpg on the hwy at 80 lies per hour. Most of my driving is on the freeway and it hauls A##. Mind you that an outright Duane Spencer built 912/356 motor is about 15k, I do not know how much a Jake Ray motor costs. But the Porsche quality cannot be beat over any VW motor. Duane Spencer also breaks in the cam and can just Dial that motor in near perfect. I even put an A/F ratio sensor in the exhaust and Duane had it right on the money. In my honest opinion Spencer is at least the number 2 Porsche 356/912 motor alive today. I cannot tell you how happy I have been for the last 10 years with his motor. VW don