View Single Post
Old January 29th 2003, 18:06

Jason,
YES, having all the inboard pivot points co-axial is what you are aiming for to eliminate bumpsteer.
If you are going to fabricate new steering arms for the Porsche hubs, if you put them up high, then you use a wider rack.If you put them low then the rack can be narrower. This is because the axis of the pivots should narrow from top to bottom.
You are making the top arms shorter aren't you???
I would advise making all your arms in scale, or full size, in cardboard, then pin them to a board. Make a very accurate representation of the Porker upright, attach all the bits with pins, and then run it through it's full travel. You should be able to vary all the inner points and see what difference it makes to camber in bounce and droop.
You will notice the steering arms on the hub are very straight(fore and aft). Why don't you try and change them side to side?
We are using S2 arms and hubs.Are yours S4s?They are slightly different.Don't know if that is do-able.I will need to look at our hubs.
If they can be changed side to side,this will put the rack in front. You would then need to find a front steer rack, or get a RHD one and flip it.
With the arms being so straight,I don't think this would have any effect on the Ackermann.
I will look at Martins at the weekend and see if this is feasible.

Cheers,Ross.