View Single Post
Old April 12th 2010, 12:42

I thought the QA1 rear coil overs were good quality? The kersher front coil over struts are some of the best and besides we are a global market now and access to European or American bits is easy peasy.

If they are the CB rear disc conversion they use a Golf rear caliper I think, that means that the single piston size is smaller than anything you will get for the front so the brakes will have a severe front bias. This issue comes up time after time. Crnch some numbers on the caliper/master cylinder ratios and you will see what I mean.

You could install a 6 point cage with links to the A & B pillars that will stiffen the chassis considerably. The 6 point cage has no appreciable effect IMO on the access to the vehicle unless the front legs are too far back. Wally's cage is a brilliant example of what can be done with an off the shelf unit. A door bar can be had as a removeable item. Besides the two rear struts will be difficult to transport passengers especially as you intend to connect them to the frame horns.

The Empi struts are such poor quality pieces of kit that I would have a pang of conscious if I traded them on flea-Bay. Just because you feel you might have a good deal doesn't mean you have to use them. IMO a true Germanlooker is about the engineering skill. Remember " God is in the details".

TB means 'torsion bar'. The 23.5mm bar is a standard Porsche 944/924S bar and the 25.5mm one is the 944 M030 spec. The 23.5mm bar should be readily available from breakers whereas the 25.5mm bar is a little rarer. Some people like the look of coilovers on the rear so that may be a viable alternative to uprating the rear suspension.

Clive