View Single Post
Old July 22nd 2010, 15:29

Eatoniashoprat,

From some of the pics that our work firewall permits it looks like you are running the topline struts (page1) with the Bilsteins and 150 lb springs upfront, as well as topline swaybar and a strut bar, correct?

In the back it looks like, no sway bar, a kafer bar, and those white struts which I can't read or remember who makes, is that correct?

Definitely sounds like the front is sprung a little too stiff when compared to the rear.. hence your comment about thicker TB in the rear?

Couple of questions, were the bilsteins valved or designed for the weight of those springs? While this won't address your turn in issue, I am curious as to the setup, and how the car handled (transition of weight, front to back, side to side).

Having tracked an AWD, a frt Engine-rear wheel drive and a front engine-front wheel drive, puts me at a knowledge disadvantage with how the rear engine-rear wheel drive aught to be set up or handle.. but me thinks lifting 3-4" is a little much.. but not uncommon, as seen in some BMW such as the e30.. guess my point, and I am assuming since you make a comment about new to this.. is that be careful, not to make the car to difficult to drive on the track. Find something that eventually has a little understear and somewhat forgiving.. Coming in hot into a corner about 80 mph in a turbo AWD, and going sideways is not fun, but punch it and the front grabs and pulls you through it, did the same driving my old 330, and it was a little different in experience.. both cars were pretty balanced and could induce a little overstear to help get the rear round quickly if I needed, but under most conditions they were neutral with a little understear.. I use to run (hopefully, next year we get a car out to the track) in the north east, and places like Watkins Glen can be dangerous (125+ straights) if you have a tail happy car.. as can be see by the many Porsches that end up in the wall while lifting to quickly.. There is an art to getting those things to rotate, but I will be right behind you relearning in a few years.. for now I am just a by-stander..

Don't forget tires, brake pads will be part of you upgrade path to more speed..

Depending on the type of track and how these cars handle (SBs) you may want to play around with Springs Lbs vs torsion bar size, vs swaybar size..
Some cars like not having a rear sway bar and running heavy springs and TB, with appropriately matched strut cartriges..

Food for thought, but I am interested in your set up, as I may be ditch my Topline struts for some 944 housings with some koni's (beetle, 944 or custom valving) for the front (unsure of spring weight yet) and TPLINE SB, and for the rear probably sticking with the koni's for the beetle or 944 with 944S SB..
Car will run slicks (avons or khumos), 944 turbo calipers and race pads to complete the package.
VR
Alex
Tele: 973 204-5463