View Single Post
Old August 1st 2012, 04:48

Yeah I know London, tis a **** hole!!!! I work up there most days, but only when only when I have too. However I live just out side Guildford, and the beamer makes light work out of the commute. I discovered yesterday that it its actually 544BHP

Dont get me wrong about you building an engine, if you've got the readies spare then why not. I just personally think you may be underestimating these Subaru EJ engines. I'm actually on my second engine but since I've discovered that the old one was fine so now I have a spare engine But the price comparison between a built motor and used second hand engine says a lot. built motor I'm guessing is +4K, were as a complete used engine is £400. Thats 10 used engines, if your going through that many engines then there is something not right with the install

Either way, as a starting point I'm happy with the amount of power my engines producing and trust me it'll be a very very long time before I'm confident to drive the VW any where near as hard as I do My BMW.

Pulling a Subaru motor from a VW Chassis is no different to pulling the VW OE engine from the same VW chassis, its a days work easy.

With the Reverse cut gears, TTriebler was done some serious R&D on this stuff before he released it, I think He's been doing it for over 4 years by now. I can recall his early days when he was just starting it. I would have gone that way myself but at the time the stuff wasn't available. I could be wrong in saying this but the company that makes the parts for him I'm sure have been making this type of stuff for decades and are a well established company.

Also my experience in failed diffs all comes under my 4X4, usually with a failed halfshaft snapping and then munching the diff internals, even then with loose bits of metal in the diff oil I've not seen the Diff ring gear or pinion gear damaged. The only damage I've seen to a ring gear is the pinion gear support bearing failing, and being left unattended resulting in massive damage to the diff ring gear and pinion gear. I know I'm talking axle Diffs here but they are the same princible to what the Subaru gears stuff does. My point is I personally dont think you'll find trouble with the Subaru gears supplied kit failing itself, the problems will be a result of who ever installed them and how well they've done it. Even then I imagine you'll just rebuld the transmission reusing the Subaru gears stuff. Also I think this is a much more cost effective solution compared to the porsche route. All the porsche components are big money from what I recall, especially at a 20 year old G50 unit fetching over £1500- £2000. For that money alone you could buy a subaru donar car, break it for parts required and sell the left overs and make your money back. Thats what I did

I'm really pleased with my phase 1 set up, if your interested I have a spare phase one modified loom and Z4 ECU (1995 JDM ECU for the WRX), save you from building one from scratch. Probably a number of other interesting goodies too

Yes thats my blue Notch, and before you ask I've fixed the color of the wing mirros

And finally, if your in need of a reputable Mechanic I can certainly vouch for mine as he helped me with my install and has done a number of interesting VW projects.