Thread: My Project...
View Single Post
Old November 24th 2008, 08:51

Quote:
Originally Posted by owdlvr View Post
Those seats are inexpensive as they use a tubular-steel frame. I would highly recommend putting in a bar behind them to keep the seats from moving backward in the case of impact.

-Dave
Dave, if the seat is going to move backwards then the thing won't be attached to anything so its almost pointless having a bar there! They are however, perfectly strong enough in bending so that the back won't separate from the squab. The Sparco Clubman Sprint tubular frame seat is bottom fixed so it can be attached to standard sliding rails that then have to be fitted to a tubular subframe to attach to the floor pan. IMO the standard bug floor pan is only just strong enough to cope with a seat subframe and even so would need big load spreading washers on the underside of the pan. The latest aftermarket pans are however, woefully thin and without substantial additional strengthening would not be srong enough in a severe accident. VW did very sensibly locate the seat fixings to the sides of the heater channel and tunnel that are very much stronger and therefore I have done the same with my seat installation. Also, with standard sliding rails I always weld a pair of small steel hoops around the rails to prevent catastrophic separation in an accident.

evilC