View Single Post
Old October 30th 2009, 09:17

Whilst I don't doubt the quality of Lanner's kit the question that I would ask is much more fundamental:

Given that you will have a free hand in the choice of systems why choose a sliding caliper with an integral handbrake? the sliding caliper is a cheap (production) method of providing a caliper. It has nowhere near the performance of a twin pot or 4 pot or even 6 pot caliper. The parking brake method of clamping the disc is again a cheap production method for acheiving a parking brake and it has some serious disadvantages namely 1) the mechanical advantage is poor compared with a drum brake and 2) the heat generated can cause a false parking brake application that on cooling release that friction so that brake is non-operational. My wife very often failed to engage the parking brake properly (not for the want of trying) on our previous Audi (same caliper) resulting in a few embarrasing moments on even slight gradients. I have never been confident that the sliding caliper with parking brake mechanism can perform adequately on the rollers.

I would and have chosen a rear brake that incorporates a drum brake for the parking brake and a separate caliper for the disc(rotor). For a VW the classic arragement is Porsche although I could see others like BMW and Opel working.