View Single Post
Old May 17th 2012, 18:50
Administrator

Well, finally got the chance to try out the tires and suspension setup on gravel. Rear suspension is pretty good, though I will probably swap out to a progressive spring as I've been thinking. Front suspension on the other hand could be a little stiffer. I'm loving the weight transfer under braking, but needs to be just a hair stiffer to match the front. The gravel tires, however, are awesome! To date I've always bought used tires for RallyX, and I can totally understand the difference between a fresh set and one that has been used for a few stages. The fresh blocks are square, and cut into the gravel like a track tire sticks to tarmac. Corners where I've nailed good sliding shots on a used set of tires were simply a matter of carving around the turn like it was tarmac. Gotta love when the performance of something is so good, it becomes boring!

I did toss the GoPro into the car, but I have to be honest and say the videos are too boring to watch. While doing some testing on the forest roads I have closest to the house, the tires don't even slide around corners until you're into the triple digits. Once you do get them sliding it's not even something you could pickup on a video. I'm going to need to find some tighter corners that require pitching the car in order to make a video that's interesting!

One thing is for sure though, these tires are going to take their toll on the paintwork. The light specs you can sort-of see on the fender are stone chips. That's 30km of gravel running...yikes.

-Dave
'68 Type 1 - Interm German 'look' project
'75 Type 1 - Family Heirloom
'93 Chevy 3500 pickup - Cummins Swap