View Single Post
Old June 10th 2009, 05:42

Hi Jason,

I'm not at all sure about the high/low pressure areas but this was my logic:
The rear vents are the only visible inlet for cold air to the normal single carb? The flutings behind the grille imply (to me)an airflow into the engine bay whilst protecting from rain penetration. I would expect the shape of the beetle body to create a laminar airflow over the rear window. This was I understand Dr Porsche's original intent to create a tear drop shape. If he had required a solid negative pressure area behind the rear window then he would have created a kamm tail. In general all the aerodynamic aids I have seen for beetles do take advantage of the laminar flow by placing wings etc hung out of the back including integral intercoolers. If there was a low pressure area at the base of the rear window then I would have expected a roof lip spoiler above the window to enhance it.

With regard to the side scoops, I agree that they are in the logical location but I would have expected the airflow to be reasonably turbulent not least because of the flow from the edge of the front screen. The shortness of the beetle body would, I would have thought, prevented the airflow becoming laminar again to create a positive pressure. The half moon vents in the rear quarters of a beetle body are to demist the rear screen, in other cars they are extract vents. If they are inlet vents (as would be supposed with +ve pressure at that point) then where is the air extracted from within the car?
I have no proof that any of those thoughts of mine are correct and I would be pleased for someone to correct me.

Clive

PS If my suppositions are correct then the air will flow through your intercooler but in the opposite direction???!!!