View Single Post
Old March 13th 2012, 04:17
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilC View Post
Dave, sorry for the historic reply but you move too fast for me! I have a hydraulic handbrake in the '03 and had to use a 2psi RPV on the rear line to get anything like a decent pedal as the m/c for the handbrake allows too much flex without the RPV. I can thoroughly recommend the hydraulic handbarke that can lock the rear line very easily with moderate pressure. The handbrake locks up with 3 clicks on the ratchet with the hydraulics and is set for 6 clicks when purely mechanical, so that when its used in anger the calipers do all the duty and not the spindely shoes.

Clive
Hmmm...thanks Clive. I guess I'll decide on an RPV after I can drive the car around block at least once. I'm still not convinced I've got a good bleed as I've only done it solo with the speed bleeders.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Humble View Post
Don't worry about the windows, both of my lexan windows bow in, though mine are worse than yours.

Also, learn from my mistake and make sure your oil tank is grounded or the sensor won't work It took me a bit to realize my tank was fully isolated.

As for the lights I say go for the piaas even if you have to buy them still. The aesthetic difference and light stability are probably worth it.

Thanks for the tip on the gkn parts, I'm gonna raid their catalog for porsche 100mm fitments and see what I can find.
Weird that the windows bow in! I'm tempted to get all perfectionist and try and fix it...but really, at this point I just want to drive the damned thing. I found your suggestion on the oil tank quite funny, that was the FIRST thing I checked after installing the sensor!

Years ago a buddy installed a water temp sensor by putting an aluminum section in the middle of the rad hose. Worked great, even without a ground wire...for a few hours then stopped. Then a leak started. The sensor was grounding through the coolant, and caused some sort of reaction that ate away all the brass! I always check now to make sure I don't ground through fluids.

GKN boots for 100mm CV's:
MS5K023 - 99mm mounting I.D., 86mm bolt circle, 22mm shaft opening, 8.2mm bolt hole diameter. 'Fast' boot and plate to suit 100mm CV joints and tripod housings (no indents).
MS5K012 - 99mm mounting I.D., 86mm bolt circle, 22mm shaft opening, 8.2mm bolt hole diameter. 'Fast' boot and plate to suit 100mm CV joints and tripod housings.
MS5K024 - 99mm mounting I.D., 86mm bolt circle, 22mm shaft opening, 8.2mm bolt hole diameter. 'Fast' boot and plate to suit 100mm CV joints and tripod housings (with indents).
MS5K032 - 88mm mounting I.D., 86mm bolt circle, 22mm shaft opening, 10.2mm bolt hole diameter. 'Fast' boot and plate to suit 100mm CV joints and tripod housings (with indents).

I *think* based on the diagram that the indents allow for CV balls coming up higher then the flange level.

-Dave
'68 Type 1 - Interm German 'look' project
'75 Type 1 - Family Heirloom
'93 Chevy 3500 pickup - Cummins Swap