View Single Post
Old July 26th 2012, 00:57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birdman69 View Post
I wouldn't recommend a g50 conversion as it is very hard to fit that and an Ej20t into a beetle with nothing hanging out. You would have to cut the torsion housing to move the gearbox forward enough to get the twin cam heads under the rear valance. Not a simple job, especially of you have to pay someone to do it.
I have just ordered a ver3 sti front cut. It comes with a 5-speed and with the use of a subarugears reversed ring and pinion kit will make the installation a whole lot easier. No adaptor plates issues, no clutch issues, cheap clutches, all factory and easy.
With regard to power, don't be tempted to put on a big turbo. I dont think you are looking for 400kw and a hand grenade?? Stick to one of the vf series turbos, 23,22,30,34 get a good intercooler (i recomend water to air) and you will have more power than you will ever need. I saw a stock wrx engined (155kw) beetle at santa pod last year doing low elevens all day long.
Hi Birdman69, thanks for the response.

I have read a lot about the g50 vs the reverse cut gears option.Allthough the g50 is a more difficult install I have heard nothing but praise for these boxes from people such as Wally.Once installed it will hopefully be fit and forget to a degree but also if I ever did decide to drag race it the g50 should be good for 450 bhp.The reverse cut idea is very clever and I admire Treibler for producing it but what puts me off at the moment is the fact that it has not had much real world use/abuse,plus if he ever decided to stop making them and I needed a replacement I would be back to sqaure one.

Thanks for the turbo advice I will talk to my engine builder and ( water to air ) recomendation.

Graham