View Single Post
Old August 30th 2011, 12:45

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricola View Post
I'll have to read up on levelling but I've already got the (very rare!) VW headlight washer system.. I wonder if the fact that I don't have any rear luggage space (only front) might be a safe argument? I d tend t pint them lw if in doubt.

Having said that, it is a long way dwn my priority list and I have already beefed up my wiring with additional relays for higher power standard bulbs.

Let's not take up all of Sandeep's thread for this though!
It seems that the bulb manufacturers recognise the need for powerful lighting as Philips are marketting a +100% H4 bulb as a simple direct replacement that would give an equivalent 120/110W headlight. The nearest to that would be the 130/90W (not for road use) competition bulb. Wire the lamps for mains and dip to come on when mains is selected and you can retain your original wire sizes and you could have an equivalent 460W halogen light whilst keeping everything stock and legal - cost about £25. Besides the extra lumens the beam pattern is the most important factor that can utilise all of the light output and good quality lenses/relectors are vital.

Most of the HID projector lights I have driven with give too sharp a cut off so that on dip beam it is either night or day and the visual focus suddenly changes between mains and dip so that IMO it affects proper car control (try riding a bike with your eyes focused on the road about 5 yards ahead to see what I mean). What is needed is a little bleed at the edges so that the focus remains further up the road and the old fashioned external lens lamps create that.

Clive