Thread: VWoA email
View Single Post
Old October 28th 2004, 16:05

It's not a built-in fan base of MILLIONS who care, it's a noisy few. And most of them probably just don't like the new product anyway, or they don't like the discontinuation of the Mexican Beetles (which I think is mistake on VW's part, but that's another rant).

And please don't try to draw a connection between Volkswagen's need for restructuring and their copyright enforcement.

What GM does for SS, GTO, etc. owners has nothing to do with copyrights. But I will agree VWoA should (IMO) do more for current owners of their products -- whether it's a '71 1302 or an '02 Cabrio, two of the VWs I currently own. That, too, is another rant.

It's funny, though, that the great GM went after a company now called Wombat because HummBug sounded too close to Hummer. GM even forced Wombat to change their grill.

As far as the well-known magazine ad with the blacked-out "VW": I don't know the facts (both sides) to comment. It has the appearance of the advertiser violating a copyright law; VW wanting clarification, compensation, or otherwise; the advertiser essentially giving VW the well-known two-word send-off; VW saying, "Well then, cease and desist"; and the advertiser having the hissy fit response to show VW who has the last word using the blackout and accompanying caption.

The advertiser comes off as a company you don't want to have a disagreement with. Even if the above scenario is not the case, it still makes the advertiser look unprofessional.

What is a "nice" way to inform someone a copyright is being infringed upon? And if the response is, "Too bad," what is a nice way to proceed?

Yeah, I hate lawyers, too -- until I need one.