View Single Post
Old September 22nd 2008, 15:31

Humble: in-car videos are strictly forbidden there, as is keeping running timers in the car and right hand side overtaking.
They have these 'rules' as there are very many accidents with quite some casualties. The Ring authorities are very scared that the many accidents may lead to closure of the Nürburgring by the politicians if accidents and especially casualties go up any further...

So, I didn't intend to give any other cars any run for their money as acting tough can cost you your car, big fines and damage costs to the track (closure because of your oil spillage of your own stupid accident costs up to 1500 euros per hour...) and ultimately lives to yourself and motorists falling by your oil loss.

Having said all that....the track is SOOO unbelievebly nice and some curves are soooo tempting to be taken at some speed/acceleration that I could not resist to push the pedal down where I could see where I went and no traffic was ahead of me. Because of the trackday at Zandvoort the weekend before I knew the engine and car were in great shape and all felt very reliable
And yes, some Audi S6 behind me could hardly gain up on me, but I let him pass anyways and kept behind him the rest of the remaining of the 20 km's track Track knowledge is EVERYTHING there, as a lot of the corners cannot be seen untill your almost halfway through it. This is because most are just over the hill when they turn...
The differences in heights is what makes this track so unique imo. At some points the entire car was pushed hard into the shock bump stops on all 4 wheels when going downwards and hard uphill again. You could feel it in your stumich (sp?) and ears.
The carroussel was very special as well, but very bumpy!
I short, the car stuck to the track like glue due to all the mods and wide sticky tires and our 3 beetles had more spectators in the car park than all the GT2,3 RS's Lotus's and whatever had

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cam View Post
Wow!!!

Those pictures came out really well. How did your cars handle The 'ring?
Any memorable on-track moments?
Yeah, unfortunately, I had a 'moment' nevertheless my 'carefull' (not) driving: In the famous 'Adenauer Frost' curve my speed was still way too high and I needed to steer over the rather steep curb sides there Luckily, no harm was done and we drove over the side and onto the track again.. pfft.
And this was after the frst lap where I could just brake for this corner and thought to be more carefull for this one next time... That is how dangerous my enthousiasm for 'spirited' driving can be.. Preparation is therefore also very important and if I would have timed the curves or distance for this curve, I would have better anticipated it.
Upside is that all other corners are less threathorous (sp?) and were ultimately fun to drive through.
Pity we couldn't do a WOT down the straight, although a certain new 911 did try to pass me coming up the straight. Well, that was untill I saw him wanting to pass this little bug..hehe, so it was open road, no bends and he didn't pass and had to arrange behind me to exit the Ring halfway the straight
Yeah, I was very carefull....

While aiting for the TouristenFahren to open, we thought this was a Nissan Skyline, but later i heard it was the new Honda NSX...the sound of it running at topspeed down the straight was breathtaking!:
Turn the sound to max and listen to it:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8s1-Z5xWKGI