View Single Post
Old March 23rd 2015, 04:23

Quote:
Originally Posted by brent View Post
Why is it soo difficult to make an angle drive system as the 935 or a better solution than the problematic fan dual pulley scenario?

Also I would have thought there must be an electric light weight fan thats just as efficient now? I am asking because my new engine is going need one. Regards Brent
Hello Brent,

Not suggesting I have it all figured out, but the gear driven 935 system can be had as an aftermarket solution for 911 6-cylinder engines. If you see the costs of that, you'll also deduce - like I did - its probably indeed rather difficult to make as a reliable 'system'.

Otoh, I am not sure the upright 911 fan systems can not be made to cool evenly (enough). There is a centrally positioned upgraded 911 fan system from MSS that promises that and has some research done on it. Also if your handy with GRP, you can copy Robin's 4-outlet system he did on a 911 upright fan on his type 1 turbo engine with Street Eliminator heads to create a forced, perfectly evenly divided cooling system.

Wrt electric cooling fans, a calculation on what electric power would be needed to really cool as well as a pulley system (the draw on hp on a dyno from a(ny) fan would be a good start), has ruled that out for me completely for street/circuit use.

You'd be better of looking into building an engine that can dissipate heat better imo. So, if you considering (the extreme costs of) gear driven 911 fans, but are not using aluminium cylinders in the first place already, start over