Thread: Upgrade
View Single Post
Old August 7th 2008, 14:47

Upgrade

I've been driving the beetle daily for a year now and while I love it I wanted to get something with cup holders. Actually I wanted a little more than that but horsepower, comfort and FR drive train were paramount. I've been looking since march at several cars, G35, 350z, S2000, and miatas. I wanted something newer, with a warranty, 3-5 years old and got better mileage than the bug (it gets 12-15mpg). I wasn't considering bmw's because I thought they were way beyond my price range, I was happily proven wrong last week when I bought one. It's a 2004 330Ci, 3.0L, 6-speed manual, and only 39k on the clock.

My impressions after a week of driving are mixed. Don't get me wrong I love the bimmer, but it's not a beetle. At first the traction control was really aggressive but I think it's learning. After the second day of commuting it stopped kicking in and I've been driving a little quicker every day to explore it's limits. It hasn't come on since. I'll probably toss on some better tires in the future since the all seasons that are on it talk to much and don't grip enough. I love having power and accelerating when I floor it, but it almost seems like cheating compared to the bug.

Pros: It's the polar opposite of the bug. It has every option (Nav, heated seats, articulating hid lights, leather interior, power everything), 230hp and 220 torque, and sport suspension package. Where the beetle has no technology this is technology with wheels on it. The handling is very sharp and the steering pretty direct and tight for it's size. Lots of get up and go but still great mileage, 26mpg in general but almost 40 on the highway. Did I mention it a BMW and super compfy?

Cons: Here's where the irony sets in. Despite the pseudo status symbol of the bimmer ("yeah I finally made it" kinda thing) they're kinda standard issue for the bay area and they are as common as civics. In the bug every where you go you are kind of an instant celebrity. It's an old beetle that's been fixed up, everyone can identify with it, and people are always shouting to you, coming over to ask you about it or waving/throwing a peace sign. Countless times I've been parked in or driving through downtown Saratoga and had people walk past super cars (maseratis, lamborghinis, ferarris, porsches, panoz) to come say hi or check out the bug. When I'm in the bimmer, no one cares, which is really disheartening.