View Single Post
Old November 9th 2004, 21:30

I'm no turbo expert, but here goes...

The first thing to consider is whether or not you want it to fit under the stock decklid. If so, then the size of the turbo is a factor.

Secondly, understand that any turbo will work as long as you have sufficient exhaust pressure to turn the turbine. What you want to consider here is how much boost you want, or need for you engine combo. Then pick a unit that is designed in that range. Then you can regulate it through blow off valves etc...

As far as the Eclipse turbo, I'm not familiar with that particular model, but I have seen alot of guys using them. shoptalkforums' Forced induction forum would be a good spot to search for specific info, as those guys are experts per se.

Finally, a third consideration with specific turbos are the mounting options. If you are looking to fabricate most if not all of the pipework, almost any turbo should be okay. If you are looking to buy a prefab system and bolt on your turbo, you might run into problems.

Again, there are a litany of considerations when it comes to this topic, but if you get a steal on the turbo, grab it. If you decide not to use it, then you can always sell it. I would have it checked out by a competent shop before you drop serious coin. Turbo rebuilds can be expensive.
VKG