View Single Post
Old May 3rd 2009, 15:07

I know a bigger than stock oil pump will over come the spring in the stock oil cooler passage, but the oil cooler in the front of your car should cool what ever oil doesn't go through the stock cooler, and before it even gets to that cooler anyways. I have a 30mm or whatever the biggest size is in my 1776, with a stock cooler only and it cools the oil just fine, even though a good portion never gets through the cooler.

I only get a bit hot hoil when I've been doing 80 on the freeway and get stuck at a long light on the off ramp for a while. I will be adding an external cooler under the rear wing of my car (if it will fit, crossing my fingers) for this summertime, but I don't think I NEED it, its more a just in case type thing.

Of course I neither have a huge engine, or a high output engine so your mileage may vary. I made it through last summer just fine with my oil temps never going about 220, but I now commute over a very steep grade everyday, and it is cool enough in the morning, but in the summer my drive home may be rather sweltering and I don't want to get stuck on the side of the road waiting for my oil to cool off...

Like I said, my extra oil cooler is just extra insurance.