Thread: 1302 vs 1303
View Single Post
Old June 25th 2011, 23:08

It's much of a muchness, I've had both and even converted my 2 bolt front end to the earlier 3 bolt.
handling difference between the two is minimal.
The Rack and pinion can be fitted to the earlier front end, I'm in the on going process of converting mine.

Here's a reply I put on the samba on the same subject

Quote:
Cons for 3 bolt is they are not a zero scrub radius like the 2 bolt so don't self center as well and the spindles rust to the struts which can be a bitch to seperate.
They do have a slightly narrower track which some argue makes a difference but I certainly don't notice it and I push my car pretty hard through the bendy stuff.

The pros which are why I swapped mine to 3 bolt is the narrower track makes fitting big rims under stock fenders easier, can be lowered more than 3" and can be fitted with a bump steer kit.

THe 2 bolt front end has the wider track which allegedly improves stability, and they are zero scrub radius so self center out of corners better and supposedly brake in a straight line during lock up better.
Adapting Porsche 944 components is alot easier too.

The balljoints are a PITA to replace as they have to be pressed out, they cant be lowered more than 3" without causing geometry issues, cant be fitted with a bumpsteer kit. and it's hard to find big rims with the right offset to suit stock fenders.