View Single Post
Old February 4th 2006, 15:34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superbug Scott
I'm sort of thinking going to a 1776 ..., duel carb, upgraded exhaust and call it a day. Stay stock transmission, same case. Even without doing any work myself, well under $8000, you think?
Oh, no doubt. I've driven a 1776 before and was ready to buy a Type 34 with one until the seller backed out. It is definitely peppier ... peppyer ... more peppy ... uh, has more pep than the rocko stocko. Plus, I have not heard one person ever give a bad review to a well constructed 1776.

If I had a garage, my first endeavor would have been to rebuild a 1600. If that went well and I felt confident with what I had learned, a 1776 would probably have been Project Two for my learning curve. This is still my plan should we ever move -- it just won't include my current Super.

Since my Super is a co-daily driver and my first modified car, I am reaching for a little more greed in the pep department. A 1776 is plenty to do 70 MPH all day long. It is just that doing 70 on the interstates from New York to Florida -- my domain -- isn't necessarily plenty.

When the time comes, I need to decide how much money I can devote to the project which will be further complicated by the selling of our Westy and the purchasing of a car (Scirocco, maybe?) for our daughter. The $8k was a guesstimate. If the sell/buy goes well and the stocker continues to perform reliably, I may delay the $8k decision until it becomes a $11k certainty. All of this has to be decided within the confines my head.

speedy's point number two is enviable. Maybe some day with some future Super or other air-cooled ... As for 250-plus horsepower, I'm afraid that might be too much for me in a bug. Maybe, my Cabrio would like that instead.