View Single Post
Old October 17th 2005, 02:05

As I said-wanted to make something similar to the NB-which is an 03 turbo with auto and sunroof and they are nearly 50 years apart.When I started this I had a list of must haves-big horsepower motor,auto trans and air conditioning.The air is not going to happen because of the fan set up,but I was determined to go auto.When I bought this engine,it had been raced hard in a single seat buggy with a FAT shroud and a big external cooler.(now running all Sharpbuilt stuff and machined the breather tower)I stripped the thing right down,and apart from some rough clearancing inside the case,it was in very good condition.The heads had 48 and 38 valves and only needed a freshen up-everything was like new.I got another case and clearanced it properly,had everything balanced and crack tested and changed the ****ty wild cam and put in new rings and bearings.Had to get a 210 flywheel because it had a 228 with a pressure plate that only Arnold could operate.I am using the original oil cooler as well as a sandwich plate to an extra fan assist cooler.I made all the exhaust using the stubs from the original FAT buggy pipes,and bought some bends and made the engine pipes.I had some flanges profile cut so I could use original Type4 gaskets.The muffler and pipes are from stainless.I had 2 half cicles rolled with 10mm lips to give me a 61/2 inch tube when welded together.Run 4 perforated pipes inside to ech opposite end and run the tailpipes out thru the original cutouts.It's still a little loud,so will make the tailpipes into mufflers like the originals.I had to do a cutout to clear the crank pulley and welded in the bung for the O2 sensor.The muffler hung a little low when finished and looked like a set of dog's nuts hanging out in shiny stainless-so had the whole lot ceramic coated in matt black-not so obvious now. It will only get an occasional Sunday run,so should be up for all I can throw at it.I had this 2700 badge laser cut in aluminium and the style is as close as they could do to copy the original VW 1300 script.I had to hand finish the edges,then had the 3 of them coated in 24ct gold for something a little different.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg badgessm.jpg (27.8 KB, 405 views)
File Type: jpg VDO-CDsm.jpg (46.0 KB, 368 views)
File Type: jpg trimcard1sm.jpg (27.0 KB, 357 views)

Last edited by nbturbo; October 17th 2005 at 07:14.