View Single Post
Old February 19th 2008, 10:49

I turned the ignition off, grabbed the fire extinguisher, and jumped out of the car to limit the damage. One of the sadly ironic aspects of this episode is the engine lid was locked. Instead of keeping thieves and saboteurs away, it was keeping me away.

I shot the extinguisher through the vents as best as I could. I even thought I had done it and was looking for the key to unlock the lid. No sooner did I reach that incorrect conclusion, I saw the smoke build to a point where the flames were once again visible.

At that point, I emptied the extinguisher through vents as best as I could.

I passerby had a cell phone and called in the 9-1-1. The police and fire truck was there very soon. The station was only a half mile away.

The firemen used an axe to smash the driver’s window as the door wouldn’t open. (I guess the heat made the door swell because I had no motivation to lock it.) They also used the blunt end of a crow bar to smack the engine lid so they could open it.

The car was heavily doused. As the excitement ebbed, the firemen also seemed interested in removing the side panel on the inside behind the driver. They had already cut the power cable but they wanted to give that area an extra flooding in fear the fire may resume.

Much of the back of the car was charred with different elements including the DTM shroud disfigured or destroyed. Amazingly, none of the fuel lines ignited. The filters for the Dells seem to be still there. That is not to say there might be hope for the engine block or any of its components. It might have been a heck of lot worse, however.

I know everyone likes pictures. Had I placed any thought process into what I was doing rather than running on instinct, I may have taken a few with my phone. I was more concerned with saving the car, then saving the few valuables it contained. My hands also started bleeding from the shattered glass without realizing it.

If the opportunity presents itself, I will take some after-the-fact pictures.