View Single Post
Old April 5th 2013, 01:22
Administrator

So here's my thoughts on your questions...

Sparco Sprint - Sparco Sprint seats are a made with a steel tube-frame construction. While FIA certified, and safer then a non-certified seat, you should consider the use of the vehicle before buying them. If there is a significant chance of serious accident in the car (track racing, stage rally, etc.) then I would pass on the Sprints and find a composite construction seat. You want to avoid a situation where the seat frame could distort or break and injure it's occupant. In the case of rally-cross or autocross (where accidents which damage the passenger compartment are far less likely) a Sprint would be a fine choice.

4pt belts - Avoid these like plague. As already stated, it's pretty challenging to do these up properly without the buckle rising up into your abdomen. An accident (even minor) could cause you great internal damage. Go with 5pts or 6pts, and always run the submarine belt...even to the corner store.

Push Button Start - I would encourage you to consider why you want a push button start with the ignition key still in use. Keeping the stock ignition cylinder intact simplifies the wiring, and keeps the theft protection functional. Adding a push-button in addition to the key adds three additional points of failure (button, relay and wiring) any of which could disable your car mid-competition. I would suggest you either a) ditch the ignition switch entirely (I can give you wiring diagram) or b) forget the push button.

Digital Dash - Not really a question, but I figured I should jump in on the conversation. The biggest advantage to a programmable dash is that you program the display to only show information if there is a problem. It could show oil temp until it reaches operating temperature (for instance) and then never show oil temperature again unless it gets too high...then it should flash or otherwise attract the driver's attention. If someone is using traditional gauges, simply twist each gauge so "normal" operating condition is with the needle straight up and down. Your brain no longer needs to "read" gauges. You simply glance over for a millisecond and look back forward. Your brain processes whether or not all needles were "straight up", and only if they weren't do you need to take the time/brain power to look and read the problem gauge.

-Dave
'68 Type 1 - Interm German 'look' project
'75 Type 1 - Family Heirloom
'93 Chevy 3500 pickup - Cummins Swap