Thread: 17'' EOS Rims
View Single Post
Old June 17th 2008, 08:28

First of all, I love the Eos rims.

Second of all, I don’t have any experience with standard Beetles. I presume yours is a 1968 model given your username.

The stock wheel until March 1972 was a 4Jx15et40 assuming what I found in my quick search is correct (4½Jx15et34 after that). That means the width of the rim is 4 inches, making its center 2 inches (50.8mm). Since the offset is 40mm, the backspacing – the distance from the inside edge of the rim to the mounting surface of the rim is a mere 10.8mm.

The Eos wheel is 7.5 inches wide making its center 3.75 inches (95.25mm). Its offset is 47mm making its backspacing 48.25mm.

Therefore, there is going to be 37.45mm greater difference (nearly an inch and a half) of the wheel protruding inward from the mounting surface.

I don’t know how much room there is to play with on a standard but it would be moot anyway as you have a narrowed beam. Here is where you have to get underneath and measure how much room you do have. (If you have non-stock wheels on your car now, you can do the same measuring but you must take the specifications of those wheels into account. I used what I found as being stock wheels.)

If, for example, you have stock wheels and can afford an extra inch with your set-up, you would need a half-inch spacer.

This only addresses inner fouling. It does not address any potential fouling issues you may have by lowering or on the outside of your fender.