View Single Post
Old January 3rd 2003, 17:10

hello.
bad hall sender control unit!!!!

you know how rather than let the engine die when you pull a plug lead and conect it to that spare plug on your engine you keep ye oldie revs up a bit . well this is how i was checking for spark at my plugs .

yesterday i let it idle it was just getting dark when i let the thing idle the spark died !!! when i kept it just over 1000 the spark returned.

well i have a 205 dizzy from a vanagon and a long time ago when i owned mk 1 golf gti s i had a similar problem that turned out to be my hall sender in the dizzy .

so off to the local boneyard today got a different hall unit grabbed the control unit and coil too while i was there got three contol units actually .

fitted the control unit first (1 plug 2 screws heatsink paste between it and the ally heatsink)

fired it up and voila solid 950 rpm no drop no diddley movement sounds better too.

i was going to do the hall then the coil then the control unit but i did this first and its rock solid.

and the one thats fitted is from a mk2 golf same part no apart from a letter at the end .

havent got the foggiest what that tiny lttle black box does or why it would cut my spark at idle on only cylinder no1 but its fixed now .

this explains why when i did a wet compression test with a sqirt of oil in each cylinder they all read 11.5 bar.

o well back to trying to break it again.