View Single Post
Old February 3rd 2023, 12:27

Quote:
Originally Posted by El_Bandito View Post
Absolutely love how this car has turned out. Stunning.
Thank you!

I finished my rear seat delete/compartment and have been using it for a couple months. It is very handy and allows me to story my toolbox and other items so they aren't floating around the car. I also have built my own steering wheel. I started with a 914 steering wheel that looked like it came from the bottom of a lake. That didn't matter for me as i just needed the metal frame. My inspiration was the early steering wheels in late 60's 911's with the batwing horn button. I like these steering wheels a lot but I wanted a smaller diameter hence the 914 starting point. I laminated many layers of veneer mahogany to make 2 blanks for the front and backside. Lots of routing of different radii of the outside dimensions as well as a groove for the metal ring of the steering wheel. Some stain, powdercoat, and satin finish and I have something that I am extremely happy with. The batwing style horn button was a lot of work, with many individual pieces welded together and filed smooth.

I believe the most important parts of any car are the points that a driver comes directly in contact with. The seats, the steering wheel, the shifter, and the pedals being the highest priority. This was a fun project to make something a bit more special than what was available off the shelf.