View Single Post
Old April 20th 2004, 13:11
Administrator

Sorry, I have been running from the time I got back, had to go to work last night.
It was a great show. Started with a carravan up with the Aircooled Addiction Club, 3 of us with our cars under their own power and 2 on trailers and 2 on tow bars also 1 Impalla SS driven buy a guy whos car is in work. Weather was great high in the 80's low in the 50's, perfect for camping. The show was bigger than last year with more vendors and swappers. Just as last year the show car area was full. I met a fella from AL. there last year that was very interested about the GL and wanted to do a 1303 vert, we talked for hours at that show and he took notes about everything. I ran into him again at another show last year and we talked some more. I saw him there this time and he had his 78 yellow vert that he bought new with him and it was sporting 17x7 twists, MaxxStruts and all the TopLine sway-bars, strut brace, disc brakes, etc. He was very pleased with the way the car handles now and loves the look. Again we talked for hours and had a great time. He was looking for engine upgrade info this year. I asked him to join our club but he was unsure if he would fit our rules as he didn't want to strip his car of the trim and still had the stock engine (remember he bought it new in 78 and it is untouched except for the suspension). I told him that the trim rule was out and we had many members with cars in work and he would fit in just fine. He is a very nice fella and I hope that we hear from him soon.
One of the cars that came up to the show with the Aircooled Addiction club has an Oval de-chromed and a set of Fuchs and a larger engine with dual webber IDF's. the car is painted in a BMW dark metalic grey. I gave hime a card and talked about the club with him too. I did have the canopy up and the VKG banner flying, I put cards out under the wipers and about 15-20 are out and in circulation somewhere in the southeast.
I found some great deals at the swap meet for my son's car (I love spending someone elses money) and took home 2nd place for Super Custom, 1st place went to a nice yellow Sun Bug. I think the mis-matched back seat knocked me out of 1st. All the other West Ga. and Aircooled Addiction folks were more worried about that than I was. I was just glad that the car drove up and back without trouble, the weather was great and we had a blast. Bug-A-Paluza is a great show, those folks know how to put on a first rate event and keep the kids happy with things like the mini drive in theater Sat night.(Herbie movies), complete with popcorn and cotton candy, kids paint a donor bug, valve cover races, a large playground, etc. This is one of my favorite shows, 2 days with camping on the show grounds and hotels right next to the park.
I did take some pix but I will have to re-size them before I can post them.
66 Beetle, 73 Standard Beetle
72 Pinzgauer 710M
Volksport Kafer Gruppe