View Single Post
Old May 9th 2009, 03:51

The MSS carbon door panels didn't fit well, as they are a little undersized. Bought a set from CarbonJoe and they were worse for the ribbed doors. The CarbonJoe set fit the later doors well, so sold them to Chris(Chug-a-bug). So had to figure how to make these MSS's work. Mounting: The velcro kept on peeling off when it is hot, so figured stick it on with some silicone. Silicone would be a bitch to pull off if needed. Since the panels are undersized and show the original mounting holes on the door, i had to do something different.

Talked to Lanner at our local meeting. He said, make up some hardware to retain them. So this is what i came up with. Prototype below was made from a piece of Mycarta. Looked like it would work, so made them out of aluminum. Will have to trim the carbon down to fit properly within the hardware.

Went to Brafasco, Fabory, Metrican, and Fastenal trying to find something i could use to bolt up the door's blind holes. The couldn't think of anything. Grabbed a huge catalogue from Fastenal and found Rivet nuts. Tried them in one hole last week, didn't like them. Ordered Jam Nuts on Monday, and got them today. The outer diameter(wasn't specified) and ended up too big for the holes in the door. I'm not going to drill them bigger. Screwed around with a J-Clip and i think this will work. Need to grab some liquid rubber to cover them so they don't damage the door/paint on the inside.

Mocked up:

You can see above, if the mounting hardware wasn't there, the door's holes would be left exposed. The panels now need to be trimmed to fit the corner radius's and edges.

What do you guys think i should do with the plates? Wouldn't leaving them silver/polished be too much around the door?

I was thinking of anodizing them black with a polished or chromed fastner. Any ideas?

Pete

Last edited by petevw; May 9th 2009 at 04:05.