View Single Post
Old April 20th 2008, 04:04

Quote:
Originally Posted by yetibone View Post
Bruce, neither price included a rebuild.

Neither price included the parts necessary to rebuild.

A 901 doesn't have to be rebuilt to convert. A Berg 5 does.

The bug@5 speed shifter and flanges aren't necessary. Stock 914 ones will work fine.

I set my backlash with machinist rouge. It took two intermediate plate gaskets.

No, I didn't fab the shift linkage as part of flipping the diff in the transmission. Happy?

Keep on beating this horse if it makes you feel good Bruce. I'm sharing my experience with using a 901. You're arguing for the sake of being yourself. If you were truly out to share your experiences with using your Berg 5, perhaps you wouldn't deliver the message like a grade school nerd with a Trapper Keeper that's cooler than everybody elses Trapper Keeper.

So, keep on. We all know you hate the thought of people modifying Volkswagen cars with Porsche parts. Go on and roll with it if it makes you feel better.
Of course you just had to take a personal attack. Couldn't keep it technical, could you?

I have no hatred for P parts. My own car rides on Fuchs, original Porsche wheel locks, Porsche rear disc brakes, and has a late 944 steering wheel. My rear shocks also originated at the Porsche factory. One day when I get around to it, the 924 stub axles I have will go into my trailing arms. Same goes for the 944 Turbo CV joints in my garage. In fact, I used to own a full set of 911 SC, and 944 parts.

I'm just throwing up an alternative to the enless advice here that you MUST use a Porsche g'box on this forum, even when it is so clearly not the ideal choice, such as in this topic's original question. In fact, I find it very humourous that you can't suggest a Berg 5 on this site without getting the full attack from everyone here. Don't believe me, do a search and try to find any thread where a B5 was suggested and not shot down.

For the original question, I would recommend a 4.37 German 8 bolt R&P, with

Rebuilt IRS Type 1 ZFs can be had for $900, almost half that of a 901 ZF.

It is possible to build a Berg 5 without doing a rebuild, but as you know, it makes no sense. That is because the normal rebuild parts will set you back less than $100.

You keep quoting your experience in converting your unusually low mileage trans as if it is the norm. It is my experience that 40 year old gearboxes are rarely in fantastic condition. Here's an example of what it costs to rebuild a 901:
http://forums.rennlist.com/rennforum...d.php?t=423034
I can't believe anyone would want to install a 901 that would grind through the gears. Isn't the whole idea to improve the driveability?