View Single Post
Old November 6th 2011, 23:04

Yep, made for a Datsun Z 240/260/280 car. I just guessed as those cars came with 15" rims and the curve of the fenders looked roughly the same as a bug. I got them off eBay. Various sets are about $110-150 new. These cover 2 3/4" width, actually mounted on the bug I'd say closer to 2" or less extension. Read the shipping time before you bid on a set, I didn't look closely but the auction I won could ship in 11-14 days--meaning I think he waits until gets enough orders then lays the fiberglass.

Anyhoo, I didn't have enough time to mount them before the autocross. I did one this afternoon and it does fit pretty well.

Just trying to think how I can taper out the transition of the lower edges smoother with the fenders, especially the front. I don't plan to run this car on the track regularly (maybe once, if that), I autocross it mostly and don't plan on putting a front air dam on either as my driveway is pretty steep. I do drive it to work about once or twice a week. I'd like to fab something to at least cover more area where the tire is exposed under the fender here, just send the air down and out to the side of the wheel. Thoughts of something I could use already made to adapt to the car again?

Next thing, related to the above about not running a front air dam. I do have a lower carbon fiber shield I made for the underside to close up that gap between where the underside of the front apron and the sway bar exists, or where the stock air-conditioning would be normally.

I've done some testing with a generic manometer to see what the readings were (a tube of water mounted at 30 deg. on a board). The slotted vents on the front apron are open. So my results are:

At 65mph:

Underside of the front of the car, tube outlet mounted just behind the front sway bar
--With the CF shield pulled -.25" of water
--Without " " " pulled -.1875" of water

which stands to reason. The shield installed guides more air under the car as it smoothes out the underside. But...

Underside of the front of the car, tube outlet mounted below the spare tire wheel well (or in other words, mounted on the top side of the front sway bar)
--With the CF shield pulled +.1875" of water
--Without " " " pulled -0.125" of water

which I was not expecting at all. That whole area on the underside of the wheel well, but above the sway bar with the shield becomes positively charged. The only way I can justify this would be it helps keep my front brakes cool, but is this creating a significant amount of drag? Would I be better of blocking those vents? I think if I block off the vents though this would send more air under the car and create more lift though, correct? Whew.