View Single Post
Old July 28th 2010, 12:03

I finally had some good luck with Lucy. I swapped out the BMD pulley kit for a different sand seal setup and found that I hadn't machined the back face of the crank pulley enough so it cut the sand seal rendering it useless. No wonder it was pissing oil! New seal, new pulley, and everything seems dry. Underneath the motor, the oil relief plug was leaking under high oil pressure (anything over 30psi really) so I pulled it and changed the compression washer. After warming up the motor I loaded the engine up using the brakes (don't do this kids) to build some boost and managed 12 psi at about 6000 rpm. Shut everything down and checked for leaks, only to find that the crank was dry! The relief plug has a very small drip (one or two a minute) under high rpms but other wise everything else is dry.

During the first warmup I had some crazy lean spikes that would kill the motor after cold start. I've been slowly working on my cold start enrichment to perfect it and getting a little closer every day. I've also been working on the fuel map to work out super lean areas when cracking the throttle. Slowly but surely she's coming along, and another dyno day is in the future.

I have a NASA track day weekend coming up at the end of August at Thunderhill which I would love to take the bug to but I might run out of time.

Video forth coming...