View Single Post
Old April 18th 2006, 03:23

I was under the assumption your `81 single-cab was already type I equipped...sounded like your boss was fairly literate in VW.

Anyway, in the 'States we first got Type IV engines in 1972 in all our Type II vehicles...but in other countries they continued to be equipped with Type I engines until a date I do not precisely know.

My father converted our `73 baywindow to Type I some 25 years ago (originally a 1679cc Type IV of a different bore/stroke than the same displacement Type I engine) and we run an essentially slightly customized `71 trans. It's been powered by a 1600 DP, 1679 DP, and a 1775 DP...earlier this evening we just closed the case on the new 1995 DP(88x82 using NLA 88B's) we're building. A 1600 is barely adequate, a 1679 (Type I) adequate, 1775 more than adequate, and the 1995 will hopefully be enjoyable.

A `73 bay (equipped with a Z-bed and table) isn't a very heavy Type II and it's because of this we'd rather have a Type I engine in it...although if it were a heavy Type II that came equipped with a factory 1.8 or larger engine we probably wouldn't consider the conversion.

The later watercooled engine is known as a wasserboxer, it came in a 94x69 (1915) and a 94x76 (2110) - it's also possible to bore and stroke these engines out to larger displacements...and there are a few that have started to convert these later watercooled engines to aircooled and use them in models of VW besides the Type II.