View Single Post
Old September 15th 2003, 00:19

I'm one of the older in the crowd, almost 48. I've spent the past 26 years in the U.S. Coast Guard. Spent most of my time fixing ships/boats, anything with more than one moving part was my responsibility, gas engines, diesel engines (big and small), gas turbines, pumps, a/c, boilers, gear boxes. One of my guys once said, "he can fix anything but a broken heart"! Now I fix "People Problems", machinery is easier.... I picked up a few other skills over the years like: bodywork/painting, wiring, welding (gas, mig, tig, stick), basic lathe work and probably a few others I can't remember right now (that age thing...).

2 more years until I retire and need a "real job". It has been a hell of a ride though.

The original post asked if others can't deal well with their chosen profession... For the most part mine has been ok, I've had to work with and for jerks a few times but in my job either I move on or they do so it doesn't last too long. There is a down side to that, my kids don't really have roots, my wife resents not having a career and I missed a lot of my girls growing up time (ships don't sit at the pier much). The upside is: my kids are more mature than their peer group because of the wide variety of things they have seen and done (more than a lot of adults) and they are still young.

It is rare for someone to find a job they love and pays well enough to support a family.... there are a lucky few out there, the rest of us must make some compromises....

ken